Front facia question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingo84

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
I've always loved the 82' Malibu/El Camino front facia. The wide chrome grill with quad headlights is my favorite GM front end. I even like it more than the Monte Carlo SS plastic nose.
Just wondered, since many people on here has been swapping fronts on G's. Would a 82' Malibu front facia be much work to fit on a 81' Cutlass ? I see the hood raises on Malibu, while Cutlass is lower. But fender edge alignment, look like it does'nt need modifications there. The steel bumper I guess would be an easy bolt on.
Any opinions on this one? I do love the 81' Cutlass facia.. It has grown on me, as I did'nt like it that much in the start.. ;)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Personally, I'd let the thought go. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Stick with the Olds header panel...you'll be glad you did.
I'm sure it would require some creative fabrication work...and it still would probably look like sh*t.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Longroof79 said:
Personally, I'd let the thought go. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Stick with the Olds header panel...you'll be glad you did.
I'm sure it would require some creative fabrication work...and it still would probably look like sh*t.
:lol: Don't hold back, Tell us how you really feel Jack.... :rofl: :rofl:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would say buy the rest of the car if you are that fond of the front end and sell the Cutlass to someone that likes them the way they are.
I have a feeling this swap would probably piss off the Oldsmobile guys more than putting an SBC under the hood.

dingo84

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Well I know it would be a "downgrade" since Cutlass is more of a deluxe model.
I'm not going to do this mod, since I don't have time and money to do any further unecessary work. Just wondered how it would look on :)
Maybe I should buy an El Camino one time. I'm never selling this Cutlass.

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
I think if you are interested in trying it, definately go for it. I think it is a neat idea. I mean, if you don't like it after it is put together, you can always change it back. It looks to me that is would be possible if you replaced the fenders and all. Again, neat idea. One I have that thought about on several different cars.

rdakins

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2011
Madison heights, mi
Hey its your car, if you see the vision do it. If someone complains tell them to buy one and do it how they would like it to be done. I like the creative thought of going outside the norm, Would love to see it finished

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
FWIW, I know the Monte Carlo SS nose is too wide to fit on the Elky/Malibu without using the fenders, hood and doors, so I would guess the reverse might be in effect here- the Elky nose/fenders may be too narrow for the cutlass. Don't know this for a fact, just offering some info to help the speculation.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Haven't seen this one done in reverse either, but you will have a load of fiberglass fitment & fabrication work to make it work. The Malibu/ec header is made from chopper gun sprayed fiberglass, so it can be ground down & refiberglassed. The hood to header difference may not be horrible, but the fender to header differences will. You may need to combine the header to fender area of thecutlass panel to the Malibu panel. Then you have the issue of bumper fitment & filler panels under Malibu bumper, which you may have to fabricate.

If you don't have fiberglass & bodywork skills, I,d advise to drop the idea.

If you do have the commitment& potential for skills to reshape the header panel,do what you want, I did. Several times. Just trying to give you a little been there, done that type advice.

dingo84

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
First i want to thank for all feedback and advice :)
I assumed the nose of malibu/elky is a bit smaller, so the cutty would look a bit weird with small nose and stock big *ss. At first I were thinkin about doing a monte carlo ss nose swap.. and then dropped it. Then 83' malibu nose.. But now I think I'm gonna keep the cutty nose. Just gonna get the hurst frontspoiler. It will look awesome with a chromed out grill and the rest blacked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor