CUTLASS Front Frame Brace

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
This has been talked about a few times already, but figured I'd give it another thumbs up. I took a piece of square tubing, and bolted it to the top of both front bumper bracket bolts. Wow, immediately noticed that the front end was much more responsive when turning, and felt more solid. Probably not going to cut time off any autocross events, but for an hour of time, it improves the driving experience of these noodle like frames. I've had the GP brace for years, so thought that I was pretty well covered, but was proven wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: 4 users

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
This has been talked about a few times already, but figured I'd give it another thumbs up. I took a piece of square tubing, and bolted it to the top of both front bumper bracket bolts. Wow, immediately noticed that the front end was much more responsive when turning, and felt more solid. Probably not going to cut time off any autocross events, but for an hour of time, it improves the driving experience of these noodle like frames. I've had the GP brace for years, so thought that I was pretty well covered, but was proven wrong.
Could you post a couple more pics? I don't have any frame support up front and I'd like to try this. I don't necessarily want to spend $300 on the front frame brace right at the moment. This would be cheaper, and I have a welder to do some fabrication. Did you do the rear brace between the bumper mounts as well?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
In the lowrider hydraulic community, this is a pretty common mod. However, usually the box steel is welded to the front of the frame, tying the frame rails together. It significantly strengthens the front part of the frame. On street cars, we usually reinforce the rear arches and use the pump rack to tie the rear frame together too. On hoppers it's common to cut out the rear spring perches and put in a C channel bridge, and reinforce the "belly" (cradle of frame under motor)...and or fully box the whole frame.
But yes, tying those rails together does have a great positive impact for sure. I can truly imagine it would really help in rally driving and the roll/flex involved in that too.

Reactions: 4 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Could you post a couple more pics? I don't have any frame support up front and I'd like to try this. I don't necessarily want to spend $300 on the front frame brace right at the moment. This would be cheaper, and I have a welder to do some fabrication. Did you do the rear brace between the bumper mounts as well?
I should have taken a picture when I was painting it. I'm going to make another one for my wife's car, I'll get a picture at that point

Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
from what it looks like he filet'd the ends to a wedge in order to have access to pass the bolts through then attach it to the top of the frame horn mounts.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor