Front license plat bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The plate bracket never did fit that great regardless. You probably could elongate the holes a bit on the bottom side to make it fit better. If there's too much pressure on the plastic when mounted, you will run the risk of later on down the road it could break.

The front bumper license plate holder delete cover is a little chrome piece that goes across the front two bumper mount bolts and also covers the little plastic extension that hangs down in front from the upper bumper cover. GM p/n 22511203. Discontinued from GM.

There's a repro of it out there. If you have a 442 or H/O and don't want to use the license bracket, you would need to paint the front cover to match the lower bumper color.

Reactions: 1 users

Jmac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 17, 2015
McKees Rocks Pa.
I'm looking for a front plate bracket for my 86 Cutlass. Looks like they range from 59 by is to 300. Do any fit better then the others? I'm not buying a 300 dollar one that's for sure. Lol
I just got 1 from Mikes Montes believe it was like $55.00 + shipping
you have to make an extension on the bottom to bolt to the bumper

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
Olds G47 plate holder is unique to that make/body style.

22506528 is the part number. There are repros out there as well. That $300 one on ebay is an original NOS GM unit. Those are made of unobtanium right now. Thank goodness I have a small unobtanium stock pile of those.

It's easy to tell a repro license plate holder. They have a small divot in the middle of them. The genuine GM part has a smooth face on them without that divot.

REPRO:

GENUINE GM:

FRONT-LICENSE-PLATE-BRACKET-NEW-81-88-CUTLASS.jpg

And, according to the parts book, there's also supposed to be some standoff nylon nuts, p/n 559547. This is really a round peg that fits in a square hole. Without the thicker nut you may strain the bracket mounting points which leads to breakage and loss of bracket. I've never had the bracket off the 85 so I'll have to check it out. I believe there was the standard license plate nylon square nuts on the upper section of the bumper but I think these were used on the bottom. Again, I'll have to check. Amazingly, I just found this out recently. The parts book doesn't really specify the nylon nut use but it's right under the bracket listings. Which is odd because the call out is for all the series using the same nuts and number per car is "AR" (as required). It's also called out to be used in a couple other places on the car but can't recall where at the moment. I'm just wondering if the factory even used these kind.

Nos-License-Plate-Nuts-4-1976-1981-Chevy-Corvette.jpg

GBody Parts has these unique standoffs available for $2.95 ea....they are reproductions (of course)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
GBody Parts has these unique standoffs available for $2.95 ea....they are reproductions (of course)

Good lord! Each! I know I didn't pay a whole lot for a bag of 20 from GM. Because they come in a bag of 20.

I did look under the front of both the 85 and 87 as they have the original mounting nuts on them, and they are NOT the standoff style, as I kinda expected. This is one of those instances where you just don't know if the initial design was to use these, or they made a change on the assembly instructions, or the guys on the assembly line said fugg it and used whatever was there. I doubt it being the last one because the cars were made in separate assembly plants.

But the parts book calls for them in that location, so I'm going to give them a whirl and see if they actually relieve the stress on the bracket. I'm still not opposed to elongating the bracket's rear holes to relieve some of the stress on it. You don't want it loose, but you don't want it straining the plastic because I think that's the prime reason they fail over time.

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey
I put the stand offs on and I think it pushed the bracket way too far off the bumper. I'll remove them sooner or later. Need the nice weather first

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor