CUTLASS Front license plate mount

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Since this car has the 1988 H/O body kit on it, I am trying to figure out if I should just cut off the bottom of the original Endura tab shown in the pic. Since the front dam tucks under the original bumper cover, it now sticks out some.

1684616170465.png

It pushes the top of the plate mount out seemingly too far. I do have the original under bumper nylon inserts. Not sure what hardware type is supposed to be threaded into them.

1684616298666.png

Here is the original plate mount
1684616323555.png

1684616336848.png

Thoughts on best practices here so I don't have any stress on the plate mount screw points? And what hardware is supposed to be used?

I want to mount the H/O front plate as I am about to insure and register the car again and actually start driving it again!

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
cut the tabs off or open them up with a dremel so the plate mount fits inside the holes..as for the inserts in the bumper i have seen 1/4 20 bolts and large screws used they need to be snug but not to hard to turn in otherwise the inserts will break same goes for screwing on the license plate and kudos for getting her back on the road

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I'm hoping 69hurstolds jumps in as he would probably be able to tell me the original intended mount hardware.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Essentially you have hex head license plate screws that hold the front plate holder.

The parts book shows it being a square peg round standoff plastic push in nut "as required" for the bumper mounting, but my factory-installed ones are just plain flat rectangle push ins upper and lower. I've never seen them on a factory-built car. Not saying they didn't use them, but I just haven't seen any.

Nut call out in the parts book is 559547, long discontinued from GM. Although there are aftermarkets available. I honestly don't get how these could make a difference. Factory didn't use them, but there's a reason they made them.
1684713432351.png

Here's the deal. These brackets don't fit exactly right most of the time. The back of the upper hold down indentations tend to constantly be under stress and eventually crack/pop out and make the bracket essentially useless.

Sometimes they fit up just nicely. Elongating the lower holes, and perhaps a little creative trimming and shimming (nylon washers behind the upper bracket mounting holes) may give you a better mounting without the strain.

TIP: Reproductions have a little sunken divot of sorts in the front middle of the bracket, while the GM part does not.

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Thanks Mike, I’ll try mounting it via the bottom screws first and try to adjust such that the top mounts “just touch” then put screws in the top to only lightly hold it there.

And what are the “hex head license plate screws”?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor