Front Springs for 1985 Regal with 350 BUICK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Plus the intake did NOT have the carb on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-12-14 at 8.24.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2016-12-14 at 8.24.24 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 154

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Plus the intake did NOT have the carb on it.

If the stock Intake manifold without a carb weighs 67lbs, a Stock Iron Manifold Buick 350's weighs over 550lbs (with that boat anchor 4bbl casting, at least), given the weights of the other parts.

543 lb for a running engine and 447 lb for a bare long block was calculated assuming only a 60lb intake manifold.

450 lbs for a starting, running, charging, all iron Buick 350 is looking more and more far fetched.

The Thermostat housing doesn't look light and it would need to go in the new manifold, so there's a few lbs added back to get to the "40 lb weight difference T/A claims. Joe's "57 lb" weight savings claim is still unsubstantiated.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The thermostat housing weighs about as much an average smartphone. EGR valve about as much as a full pop can. Like I said, we'll know for sure this spring. Then I will select my springs :p Gonna get of these things that's rated for 600lbs, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PLTXBE/?tag=gbody-20 so it should be more than adequate to hold my engine. And of course I will take pictures. Stock 4 barrel intake, carb, front accessories, water pump, fuel pump, alternator, ps pump, exhaust manifolds (no down pipes), distributor, everything. I'd do it now, but it's so damn cold here. I'll even set the EGR valve on the intake for you. I'm very curious as to how this will all turn out. The heaviest things on this engine gotta be the intake and harmonic balancer.

Reactions: 1 user

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
You could probably still get the springs as you will likely want to trim them to fit no matter what.

The springs that have been suggested have rates from 500-600 lbs / in. You're debating whether your engine is ~50-100 lbs lighter than a common SBC which translates to a difference from 0.08"-0.1" up to 0.16"-0.2".

There's no way that even after hearing everyone else's experience and knowing the exact weight of your motor (and even various things you may have added/removed) that you'll be able to confidently order springs to achieve the ride height you desire within +/-0.25" tolerance with no trimming.

If it were me, I would order the 5658 springs which are ~580 lbs/in. So, when trimmed to the desired height, the effective spring rate wont increase to an uncomfortable level. Give this page a read if you haven't:

http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the 5658 springs now that I look at it. BUT, all these 7 pages of debating has got me curious. As I was gonna take my engine out anyway because I have to rebuild my transmission, I will take that opportunity to weigh it just incase, plus it has the added benifit that the internet will once and for all have the PROPER weight. I'll weigh it all 100% assembled, fan to flexplate carb to oil pan, as a crate engine would be delivered, long block plus intake and carb, balancer, and flexplate (with timing cover water and fuel pumps), and as a short block.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Mebbe weigh with oil so it'll have a real world use weight

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
If you want to avoid a mess with fluids and weigh the things dry, I think you'll have about 33lbs of water and oil combined in there, assuming 3gal of water and 5quarts of oil in the engine (note that antifreeze weighs a little more than water; about 9lbs. I just left it out.).

A pint of water is about 1 pound and a gallon of motor oil can vary in weight but its usually close to 7lbs.

3gal water * (8pints/1gal) * (1lb/1pint) = about 24lbs
5quarts oil * (1gal/4quarts) * (7lbs/1gal) = about 9lbs

Rounding my numbers here

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor