front sway bars... solid or hollow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumoBu

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2010
I'm ready to buy sway bars but I can't decide between a solid or front sway bar. Specifically I was looking at either a Spohn 1 5/16 solid or a Hotchkis 1 3/8 hollow. I'd appreciate any opinions or experiences.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
SumoBu said:
I'm ready to buy sway bars but I can't decide between a solid or front sway bar. Specifically I was looking at either a Spohn 1 5/16 solid or a Hotchkis 1 3/8 hollow. I'd appreciate any opinions or experiences.

A hollow bar is much lighter that solid and with a slight increase in diameter will be the same stiffness. If you can get a hollow bar in the stiffness you need, that is by far the way to go.

SumoBu

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2010
Looks like a ill be taking a trip back to the same iroc I got my xh steering box off. Thanks guys

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I have had great luck with the 36mm hollow from an early 90s WS6 optioned Trans Am or Camaro equivalent. I think its 9C1. The regular v8 model F-bodys would have a 34mm hollow. It works well with the rear bar that came with the F41 package gbodys as its only marginally stiffer than the thicker solid front bar that came with the F41 package only much lighter. Assuming you are picking a sway bar for a street car. I got mine from a local GM dealer a few years ago and the parts guy gave me 20% off just because and it ended up only costing me a little over $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor