Front U Joint Insert Dimension (Help 1000 Times)

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I installed an S60 Differential, I measured for driveshaft shorting about 6 times. I think my shaft is too long as it bottoms out on the trans shaft and forces side movement to the tailshaft seal since I've had to replace it twice. and my leak doesn't go away. As you can see there is less than 3/4in clearance since the 6in ruler willl not fit in between seal and yoke (about 3/4in wide). What I need is what is the distance on 200R4 seal to the yoke front ? I think I need to shorten the driveshaft so that it floats into the shaft. Help Help!
AIL4fc8xuowMNYBji8zvRMi17yWw0VxLoxKapPZO_I7bns8JI-3OTY91XRl56O4KU8FMmgsUMCJUhEG7R-_vtMVuZlcjCeb94iRY0U9dQhhfl5h0I09Y745p-Xg-p-KJfFZqxRESnQixQUDXv8RrN74-ogQNNOLF_Bvw_AdJPHqVB1NI6sO3rOTKW72VcXhbBkzgbQ2ipk120N9flOhCDNao8o_o2Z1IyeSo0jxLY5jNymOw-DHu9uUqTXAmfiGc1Ol5buiIFCZNcRUKg2J6VKIWh5UNm4_2YHACm5X78sqdDbB0AKLN9M_zbXf73RuLS-EHjugzEBqsdt75I4eXvS-2zhP_nVt61_UEgEOdDAeqty-HvEiLQCA2FU3FZplQyOYufTvk78NQzJP4rV0y285uigwfRxHw35nWrI2saEleKIVDYjZN3CdB7lfm3mkhtcqG5iF_xU6Xp4naeyk1j1H2CEX86uwEfdW0xDuRFCAnqA_qPryJqH_LKd18YgAA_mZpdW3fL4W8RTgutX_I9BsH-Eg2GAXCayFjS_RZ8VgxbfZPWaZGcs_dlpnTCchCiUO40OrF6yAx2luEPSR56ZGQ1LV65BDCyz4ukYnlB2PpGJmDzvwsZ1trO6W4HC02ykpXKiIkuH8xJt5XU-tMJ_Vo0bXh4_kw-4zmCRDpt0NKPPSOGebicZVL0HJFNQZY8f3qp2hgsGGvPhBmTb8bPVl6GcCcvPKwdUnX3vh6DTA8wnlYW8_a5SqHoZgZABfH_xmS1gbziB3gKuopSUOWQE82xuf84xchh-9mzLM5ExOT7G6-dQ6-4P7sNRkcTvDqnNTaJ444PVqMolI-iHG5vOEvrvaJvlumNvS91XLgaGudmWaZ04YHTB3caxv3FojhkF0tG7q8foJfQ8nTCSGWgEEtsok=w1283-h966-s-no

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
So, it looks like about 1/16th too long?
i can't speak to the 1/16" making or breaking things but the way it was explained to me by a local builder and Denny's is that 3/4" is the minimum & more than an inch is probally to much for most applications.are you doing the measuring w/the suspension loaded?

Reactions: 2 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
There is really NO exact measurement but there are 2 extremes which you can not cross.

Where does the rear suspension sit? If' it's low and the front yoke to driveshaft angle is zero. It will never go more forward than that. You only need about 1/2" clearance to remove the rear joint. This can be confusing for some so a basic rule is 1/2 to 3/4 from bottomed out.
As an example. A very high, lifted truck. Say it has over an inch of yoke clearance. Compress that rear suspension 3" and that 1" is gone quickly.

Too far out and the yoke becomes unstable at high rpm. Also less spline engagement.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
i can't speak to the 1/16" making or breaking things but the way it was explained to me by a local builder and Denny's is that 3/4" is the minimum & more than an inch is probally to much for most applications.are you doing the measuring w/the suspension loaded?
Car on the ground all 4 wheels.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
When I did my driveshaft the shop set the length at 3/4" from bottoming. I almost thought it was too long. However. Once I got it in, I raised and lowered the axle to see that it barely moved much at all.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
There is really NO exact measurement but there are 2 extremes which you can not cross.

Where does the rear suspension sit? If' it's low and the front yoke to driveshaft angle is zero. It will never go more forward than that. You only need about 1/2" clearance to remove the rear joint. This can be confusing for some so a basic rule is 1/2 to 3/4 from bottomed out.
As an example. A very high, lifted truck. Say it has over an inch of yoke clearance. Compress that rear suspension 3" and that 1" is gone quickly.

Too far out and the yoke becomes unstable at high rpm. Also less spline engagement.
I set the pinion angle per recommended SPICER specs on their on-line calculator. I checked and rechecked several times by unloading and reloading the suspension and came up with the same degrees all the time. I think I will remove shaft and install a new seal; this time I will coat the seal and remove a bunch of stuff so I can get a good whack at it and the sealer oozes out the sides. I always installed the seal metal surface dry on my other two cars with no leak problems whatsoever. Thanks to all those that contributed. More to follow in the coming weeks after I give it a good drive to several car shows in the area.

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Make sure that the transmission vent isn't plugged. Also, pack the inside of the seal with Vaseline if you don't have the proper seal installer. This will prevent the spring on the inside of the seal from coming out from the hammering. The correct installer actually expands the seal while installing to prevent this. Make sure that the seal lip is lubricated, or lube the yoke before installing the driveshaft. Is there any scoring or rust on the yoke? Don't over fill the trans. Do not fill to the top of the hash marks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Make sure that the transmission vent isn't plugged. Also, pack the inside of the seal with Vaseline if you don't have the proper seal installer. This will prevent the spring on the inside of the seal from coming out from the hammering. The correct installer actually expands the seal while installing to prevent this. Make sure that the seal lip is lubricated, or lube the yoke before installing the driveshaft. Is there any scoring or rust on the yoke? Don't over fill the trans. Do not fill to the top of the hash marks.
I always pack the spring with grease to keep it in place. I also coat the seal and shaft with oil. I have always installed it dry, but this time I will coat it with a small film . I will also use a corcuss (sp?) Cloth to polish the shaft. Time will tell.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor