Fuel Cell Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
I currently have a fuel cell in my Nova that is tiny. Maybe 3 gallons at best. Tonight I bought a fuel cell (12 gallon) with padding on the inside of it to prevent slosh. I bought it off craigslist just so happened to be a guy i knew in high school. What i need to know is what do i need to do to be able to run a fuel gauge with this type of unit. It has an two outlets and a vent fitting at the top. Any ideas guys? If you could please post a link to what i need to buy to make this work. Thanks in advance.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
aluminum or plastic?

Cells comes with either a sending unit or none. I dont know if any that have provisions for the sending unit to be put in later on.

The sending units usually use the GM type of sender with a 0-90ohms reading.

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
Its plastic. I spoke to someone about it and he said you can add a sending unit to it u just have to rearrange the foam in the cell. So i think ill give it a whirl.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
make sure you vent it with a hose to the outside, build a metal firewall that covers the back seat and speaker ledge and the openings along the quarter panels. And ground the filler cap

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
The last few cars i had that had fuel cells didnt have that ground wire. Whats its main purpose i have an idea i just dont know if its right.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
even if it's a plastic tank plastic can conduct static electricity on its surface and I assume the filler cap is metal...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you look at the instructions for filling up a plastic gas container it says to place the container on the ground before filling

"Filling Gas Cans in Vehicles

A fire can spontaneously ignite while you fill a gas can on a plastic bed liner in a pickup

A fire can also spontaneously ignite if you attempt to fill a portable gasoline container (gas can) on a plastic bed liner in a pickup truck, or in a carpeted car trunk.

These fires are caused by the buildup of static electricity. The gasoline flowing into the container generates a static charge that is prevented from grounding by the insulating effect of the truck bed liner or carpet. This static buildup is then discharged to the grounded gasoline dispenser nozzle and may cause a spark and ignite the gasoline. Both ungrounded metal (most hazardous) and plastic gas containers have been involved in these incidents.

The problem is resolved by providing a pathway to release the static charge buildup."

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Holy sh*t! That's some good info pontiacgp. I did not know that. I don't run a cell myself, but good to know.

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
Yes, this guy has a wealth of knowledge and does alot for people on this forum ive seen. Glad hes helping me. Hey pontiacgp if i post some pretty detailed pics u mind shooting me your opinion when i go to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor