fuel gauge needle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToJo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2009
pulled out gauge cluster to replace dash light bulbs, re-installed lights work great! where the hell did my fuel gauge needle go? :wtf: gauge worked fine before this. i only pulled cluster out enough to get my hand in behind it to remove sockets. could it break off?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It may not have a good connection now. This is a common issue with how GM decided to make the contacts in these cars. Try pushing on the cluster with the key on and see what happens. If it moves, it is either not bolted in securely, or it needs to have the contacts cleaned or bent outwards slightly.

ToJo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2009
pulled cluster out again, found needle tucked up behind speedo plate! once i freed it up it stayed at the 3 o' clock position. completely out of view. I removed the cluster assembly from dash, and kind of spread contacts out a little and re-installed. working great now! thanks for the tip. ofcourse now the R turn signal indicator just went out, figures!

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
You don't have any pics of the contact that you spread out, I'm having the same issues with my dash.
russ said:
pulled cluster out again, found needle tucked up behind speedo plate! once i freed it up it stayed at the 3 o' clock position. completely out of view. I removed the cluster assembly from dash, and kind of spread contacts out a little and re-installed. working great now! thanks for the tip. ofcourse now the R turn signal indicator just went out, figures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor