Fuel gauge stays between 3/4 and Full

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
1987 Monte Carlo 4.3 original tank etc.

Fuel gauge was working fine. Filled the tank till it clicked off and since then it only moves between 3/4 and full. To make matters worse when the car is moving the gauge will move up from 3/4 to full all the time. When it is at idle it may drop as low as 3/4 if the tank is not full. Other than an issue in the tank is there anything I can check to troubleshoot this? Are there any common causes for this problem?

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Sounds more like the float gets stuck and doesn't drop after it goes below 3/4 full. I bet if you drop the tank and pull the float, it is probably sticky at that level.

Reactions: 1 user

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I was afraid of that. Not dropping the tank with a month to go in the season. Just have to keep track of the miles I drive for now I guess.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
When you do drop the tank put a new one in it and be done with it. At least that’s what I would do.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
There's also the possibility that the float came loose and the potentiometer/rheostat is hanging loose and when the fuel goes below 3/4, the float itself is hanging down and the potentiometer won't go below 3/4 due to a hanging angle.
Either way, you're right, no way to get around fixing this without dropping the tank.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The fuel level sender works by resistance. You can test with an ohm meter to see what the values are. My 1983 Pontiac FSM says resistance at full is 80 ohms, 0 at empty. Of course check the wiring and grounds first, but test and see if dropping the tank is necessary.

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I think when I bought my AutoMeter fuel gauge it was 90/0 ohms for later model GM

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I would unplug the connector back there and see what the gauge does with the key on. If it pegs out in one direction really far, then it's definitely something on the sending unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor