Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Esotericnem said:
I'm having problems with my fuel gauge.....when the cars off, the needle goes a little bit below full, then when I start it, it goes past full.....I know oneeye said it can be grounding issues, where do I find the ground in a 81 Cutlass? Also my speedometer stopped working all of a sudden, please help!

w/ the fuel gauge it could be anywhere from the gauge all the way back to the sending unit, have you done any interior work recently? The wires run (at least on my GP) along the passenger side. But yeah that's a bad ground no doubt.

As for the speedo, does it do anything at all or absolutely nothing? Start simple, check the connections at the trans, behind the speedo (had mine come off the back of the speedo once!), and if yours has the cruise module in the middle, check those too. If it still doesn't work check the cable(s) by disconnecting them and hooking a drill up to one end and see if the other end spins.... If it/they spin then I'd look at a busted speedo gear on the transmission or a just-plain broken-inside speedo.

HTH!

Esotericnem

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2007
I just had a new (well, new to me) 350 installed, I'm just going to bring it back to the person who put the engine in and have him check, because it was working fine before

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
did you have a 6 cyl before this . i broke my speedo cable 3 weeks after i put my 350 in on a rainy day you know what that was like with a bald tire.

Esotericnem

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2007
When I purchased the car it already had a blown 350 in it and all the gauges worked fine.....I think when the guy changed the engine for me he must have not grounded it right or something....he told me to bring it in to him on Friday so he can check it out and tighten my headers

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
does anyone else besides me have issues with the fuel gauge bouncing back and forth when you give it gas and then come to a stop? i keep thinking i am using a half of tank of gas comeing to work and i am even driving nice(rather then beating her to death, lol) this has happened on my regal and cutlass and also my buddies regal... is it just a g body thing? maybe i should just go for some digital gauges like the regal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor