fuel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
im in need of some help. ive got an 85 cutlass w. a chevy 350 and some fuel problems. idle seems fine but when driving it loves to bog down alot. for example when i mash the gas itll bog for a sec or 2 the will run good untill the upper rpm's then it acts like a miss or valve float. its a new motor and the valves were all checked before installation so im kinda ruling out valve float. ive also checked the wires and there seems to be no sign of arcing. the car sat for a couple months w/ an occasional start up. was kinda leaning towards the fuel filter being gummed up(hopefully). btw its got a rebuilt 4 bbl q jet for the carb (not sure what kind). any tips??

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
You say its a new motor, was the distr. new or just a drop in from something else?

'coz it could even be the pickup wires on the distributor, I've had more than one go bad, and it will start to act this way. When it gets real bad it'll start firing out the carb when you mash it... :shock: That's always fun, *mash* *POP* *stall* *sputter* [Alternatively, possibly the vac. advance(?)]

Anyway, try putting it in drive and loading it up with your foot on the brake, if it starts cutting out or carb-firing then you might try looking there. The low-end and upper-end symptoms sound familiar :) I remember going round and round with the carb too til I learned about that one.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you checked the timing and tested the distributor?...and make sure the vaccum advance is working properly...

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
pontiacgp said:
have you checked the timing and tested the distributor?...and make sure the vaccum advance is working properly...

Jinx! Don't *DO* that! 8)

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
hey gp, when you say it could be the distibutor pick up wires, how would one go about checking these, where are they and what do the look like. sorry i dont know a lot about electrical systems. the hesitation and popping you described are right on w/ one of the problems ive got. thanks guys for the help.

btw gp, i noticed you are from ne oklahoma, what part. im in the tulsa area

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
chevy94ss said:
hey gp, when you say it could be the distibutor pick up wires, how would one go about checking these, where are they and what do the look like. sorry i dont know a lot about electrical systems. the hesitation and popping you described are right on w/ one of the problems ive got. thanks guys for the help.

when you take your distributor cap off and remove the rotor you'll see two wires that go from your pick up to the modulator....check to see if any of the wires is corroded...it's not an expensive part or hard to change if it does appear to be defective....

go about half way down the page in the link and it has a diagram..it's not the identical set up like yours but it'll help you out..

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
chevy94ss said:

Cool, I'm just east of Tulsa about 15mi. Nice to see another local nut! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor