Fuel Pump Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
any tricks on keeping it up while putting in the new pump? should come in by next week
As seen in my photo, I have a block off plate (I'm running an electric fuel pump) where the mechanical fuel pump would attach. On the front of the engine is a bolt you need to remove and temporarily replace with one that is longer, that will hold the push rod that you can feeling through the fuel pump mount opening. Push that rod up, then lightly tighten the replacement bolt (mentioned in one of the above posts) to hold the rod in place until after you install the new fuel pump, then remove the long bolt and put the original short bolt back where it came from.
20210821_174158.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
As seen in my photo, I have a block off plate (I'm running an electric fuel pump) where the mechanical fuel pump would attach. On the front of the engine is a bolt you need to remove and temporarily replace with one that is longer, that will hold the push rod that you can feeling through the fuel pump mount opening. Push that rod up, then lightly tighten the replacement bolt (mentioned in one of the above posts) to hold the rod in place until after you install the new fuel pump, then remove the long bolt and put the original short bolt back where it came from.
View attachment 182133
thank you for the pic , helps alot.
i’ll look around for that bolt on mines

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
any tricks on keeping it up while putting in the new pump? should come in by next week

That's the eccentric bolted to the timing gear. The blue line is a representation of the fuel pump lever that the eccentric drives.

The timing set is at TDC number one the eccentric is pretty short there but you can turn the cam about 1/8 turn more clockwise and you will be on the bottom of the eccentric.

Pull your distributor cap loose no need to remove wires.
Turn the engine so timing mark on harmonic damper and timing pointer are aligned. Check distributor to make sure rotor is pointing to number one plug wire. If not turn crank one more turn.
That's TDC one.

To turn the cam 1/8 turn more turn the crank 1/4 a turn. Fuel pump eccentric will be at the lowest point making putting the fuel pump on the easiest it will be.

pontiac timing set2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
i got the pump , is the spring part of the install? Looking at the old one don't see that

Attachments

• 63AD0DDA-3412-46BA-9A98-BB1957693BF1.jpeg
    63AD0DDA-3412-46BA-9A98-BB1957693BF1.jpeg
    709.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DEFE2AA2-BE05-4A95-AD7F-90635A565C90.jpeg
    DEFE2AA2-BE05-4A95-AD7F-90635A565C90.jpeg
    706 KB · Views: 114
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
It needs the spring. My concern is where is the spring from the old one? Is it floating around in your engine?

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
no clue, is there a chance it fell? inside?
car has been running good prior to the leak
I agree with ELCAM, hopefully it is in one piece at the bottom of the oil pan. Next time you go to the auto parts store, pick up a magnetic oil drain plug. Maybe it will work it's way to the drain area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor