Fuel Tank replacement suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte Cristo

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2015
So, I have my original stock gas tank off my '83 MC. The tank was clearly painted black. The filler neck appears to have not been painted. Do I have that right?

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Does anyone have a Spectra tank that doesn't have the splashback issue? If so, when did you purchase it and from where?

Does anyone other than Spectra make a tank for the G body?

I called gastanks.com
Their tanks are Spectra and said they've never heard of the issue.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I bought a GN efi spectra tank for my 2+2 and reused the old neck. It works good, like normal.

The neck is soldered on. Find a radiator shop, they can probably do it for you.

I just ordered the GN efi tank through bobs classic chevy on ebay. $84 shipped. Take the old tank out when empty and fill to the top with water with a hose to get rid of all the fumes. Do it a couple times. take a heat gun and heat around the stock tank neck and the solder will start bubbling out. Pull the neck out. Bring to radiator shop, it was like $38 for them to solder mine in. Good fitment, no real problem.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I bought a GN efi spectra tank for my 2+2 and reused the old neck. It works good, like normal.

The neck is soldered on. Find a radiator shop, they can probably do it for you.

I just ordered the GN efi tank through bobs classic chevy on ebay. $84 shipped. Take the old tank out when empty and fill to the top with water with a hose to get rid of all the fumes. Do it a couple times. take a heat gun and heat around the stock tank neck and the solder will start bubbling out. Pull the neck out. Bring to radiator shop, it was like $38 for them to solder mine in. Good fitment, no real problem.

The filler neck on my tank was not soldered. GM used a filled epoxy resin that can be ground out and removed without using heat. I've been using the spectra tank with the factory filler neck for about a year with no issues. I used JB weld to put the factory filler neck in the new tank

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor