Fuel tank with the best baffle/pan for EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Why anyone who actually wants to enjoy putting miles on their ride would opt to live w/this logic as a "solution" is baffling.
Agree. Notice the preamble. The best solution is baffling.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
There is a cheaper solution. Make sure your gas gauge works, and never get below half a tank of gas.

Why anyone who actually wants to enjoy putting miles on their ride would opt to live w/this logic as a "solution" is baffling.
Well, I suppose I would baffle your mind, scoti . I've been dealing with it since I built the car. The best part is that the gauge is really off and getting worse. My 30-230 ohm conversion never quite worked right, so I just watch the tripodometer. I'm around 65k miles like this. It's fine until you let it get tooooooooo low, and it cuts out at an inopportune time like going around a corner or stopping for a red light. I'll make sure the next one is right, but I also won't be cobbling crap together, either.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Every
Well, I suppose I would baffle your mind, scoti . I've been dealing with it since I built the car. The best part is that the gauge is really off and getting worse. My 30-230 ohm conversion never quite worked right, so I just watch the tripodometer. I'm around 65k miles like this. It's fine until you let it get tooooooooo low, and it cuts out at an inopportune time like going around a corner or stopping for a red light. I'll make sure the next one is right, but I also won't be cobbling crap together, either.

HEHE fleming -

My first G was a Cutlass Cruiser that ran out of gas at 1/8th of tank and stayed on full for over 200 miles with a full tank, then dropped like a rock. 3 times that was run out of gas while I owned it - 1st by me, next by my brother (car borrower), 3rd by a friend (car borrower). I told both of them, put gas in it if you use it. When they were thumbing it to the local gas station I'd chuckle.

I think the G gas gauge issue has been going on for more than a year or two. I treat the gas gauge as more of a reference rather than a precision instrument. I'm with Bruce on this, if my car gets 15 mpg and I have a 17 gallon gas tank, then when I hit 200 miles since the last fillup, then I better be looking for a gas station or be prepared to do some walkin'. It's easy to forget that the 'modern people' of today have a tough time figuring out gas mileage without an app or someone else to blame when something goes wrong.

BTW - my first G story was from '87. My first car, an H body (beautiful car that I dropped $175 on) had the same issue. Taught me to use my head, apply some common sense, be accountable, blame yourself for stupid sh*t you do - traits that all of which are lost on 'modern people'. That's the logic I live with today - 30+ years later. Prehistoric thinking...........I know.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Every

HEHE fleming -

My first G was a Cutlass Cruiser that ran out of gas at 1/8th of tank and stayed on full for over 200 miles with a full tank, then dropped like a rock. 3 times that was run out of gas while I owned it - 1st by me, next by my brother (car borrower), 3rd by a friend (car borrower). I told both of them, put gas in it if you use it. When they were thumbing it to the local gas station I'd chuckle.

I think the G gas gauge issue has been going on for more than a year or two. I treat the gas gauge as more of a reference rather than a precision instrument. I'm with Bruce on this, if my car gets 15 mpg and I have a 17 gallon gas tank, then when I hit 200 miles since the last fillup, then I better be looking for a gas station or be prepared to do some walkin'. It's easy to forget that the 'modern people' of today have a tough time figuring out gas mileage without an app or someone else to blame when something goes wrong.

BTW - my first G story was from '87. My first car, an H body (beautiful car that I dropped $175 on) had the same issue. Taught me to use my head, apply some common sense, be accountable, blame yourself for stupid sh*t you do - traits that all of which are lost on 'modern people'. That's the logic I live with today - 30+ years later. Prehistoric thinking...........I know.
The gauge in the current '78 in my life doesn't work 'right' either technically so I can understand living w/an issue.

The gauge in the car originally worked. Then I had issues w/fuel delivery. Mechanical pump was seeping so it was replaced. Problems continued. Wound up replacing all existing rubber fuel hose front to rear. Then, after several months w/no issues (July 4th weekend until mid March), I was driving along & it did it again. I was searching for a cause & scratching my head. Went ahead & added some fuel to the tank after it would start w/starter fluid to the carb. Car started w/the fuel addition.

Since that point in time, the gauge reads over the fill mark when filled up & is now @ 1/2 tank on the gauge once it's near empty (<4 gallons). It's beyond me why this issue randomly started .
But, I simply record mileage when filling up & do the math to know when it's about time to refill. Having it constantly die during corners or coming to a stop with 1/2 of a tank of fuel still? I'd have to fix that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor