Full lenght headers are finally in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
I did the coppers with breslin locking bolts and have been fine ever since.

That ps back bolt is the worst. They need to make a special wrench just for that one.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Tony_SS said:
I did the coppers with breslin locking bolts and have been fine ever since.

That ps back bolt is the worst. They need to make a special wrench just for that one.
I hear you there! I got an old 7/16 wrench and cut it off to make it fit. It took me longer to get that bolt out than all the rest. I using the same copper gaskets with no problems. I had to re-torque them once and now they are set. Nothing else would keep from blowing out.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I run the little lock washers under my header bolts and they have never required retorquing. They came with the Edelbrock headers I have and I have never even blown a header gasket-even with 40k miles of driving on them. I did wind up replacing the gaskets when I pulled the heads last year. I replaced them with MR. Gasket Ultra-Seal gaskets with the round ports.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
ah i see.

looks like youd have to remove the pass. side header to remove the starter huh? that was one of the few things about these headers that kinda pissed me off.

also it looks like you dont have a bolt holding down the header flange on the first bolt hole where the a/c bracket is, am i right? taht could be where your leak is coming from.

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
yeah you wouldent have to remove the header fully,you just gotta loosen the header so its barly hanging on and it comes out/in somewhat ok, its still a pain. specially the little wire closest to the pan, oh i hated that thing when i had to do it up haha.
and yeah the first bolt on the driver side headerr isent fully put back yet i just temp did it so i could fire the thing up and hear how it sounded, im gunna pulla ll the pulleys and stuff an dclean and repaint them its sucha oily mess. but i know its not leaking from there, cuz first startups it always smokes from the rear cuz you can physically see the smoke coming out but after it heats up everything seals and its fine,so new gaskets are a must asap.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
sorry to vring this thread back from the dead but would it be possible to get a pic of the #4and #6 primary tubes at the frame, my hooker comps are actually touching the frame there. the dif i noticed is my #2 primary runs behind the #4 and 6 tubes while yours is on the outside. might start looking for different headers. let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor