Fusible link

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
I have an 84 Buick Regal with a 3.8. Stock everything with CCC. My car has been sitting for about 3 months and the battery died. It wouldn’t hold a charge so I got a new one. It was just a $150 one from advance auto parts. As soon as I hit the key the fusible link blew. The car was dead. No interior power at all. I didn’t know for sure if it was the fusible link but I thought I would start there. I replaced both them that are right off the starter and when I turned the key to on I had power again. As soon as I tried to start it the car went dead again. Everything was working fine before I changed the battery. I’ve never heard of a battery blowing a fusible link. The harness looks good and I just went through it about six months ago. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Are any of the connections at the starter touching something they shouldn't? Maybe you inadvertently tugged on a wire when changing the battery and now when you energize the starter it shorts out.

Reactions: 2 users
Are any of the connections at the starter touching something they shouldn't? Maybe you inadvertently tugged on a wire when changing the battery and now when you energize the starter it shorts out.
When replaced the fusible links I double checked everything. It looks pretty clean but I check again. Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
I replaced the fusible links and put a different starter in. Now there is no power inside the car. When I touch a test light to the big lug on the starter it lights up. And when I turn the key to on and touch the little lug on the starter it also lights up. When I touch the plug to the ac compressor it also has power. There’s just no power inside. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

I replaced the fusible links and put a different starter in. Now there is no power inside the car. When I touch a test light to the big lug on the starter it lights up. And when I turn the key to on and touch the little lug on the starter it also lights up. When I touch the plug to the ac compressor it also has power. There’s just no power inside. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Does it start? Where inside is there no power? Do the head lights turn on? Have you checked all the fuses in the fuse box? If you had shorting issues especially from the main power feed to the fuses/distribution block already, there is a chance you blew some fuses?

Reactions: 3 users
I forget, have the body to engine ground straps been checked? If the body has a poor ground it would explain how nothing inside of it works yet the things bolted to the engine do.

I've never been a fan of fusible link wires, and especially the fact they run them down by the starter where they get subjected to heat, and oil leaks.

On mine I pulled them back from the engine harness, away from starter and if they reach, directly to the battery or an adjacent junction block on fender, or firewall.

Something like this...

Like has been said, these cars typically only have two main, sometimes three main power feeds from fuse links to fuse panel. Did you check the fuses for power at fuse panel, or IGN switch.

Lastly ditto the battery to body/fender ground cable maybe you forgot to re-attach?

Reactions: 1 users
I've never been a fan of fusible link wires, and especially the fact they run them down by the starter where they get subjected to heat, and oil leaks.

On mine I pulled them back from the engine harness, away from starter and if they reach, directly to the battery or an adjacent junction block on fender, or firewall.

Something like this...

Like has been said, these cars typically only have two main, sometimes three main power feeds from fuse links to fuse panel. Did you check the fuses for power at fuse panel, or IGN switch.

Lastly ditto the battery to body/fender ground cable maybe you forgot to re-attach?
This is what I have for Jr.'s & my Monte's. The plan is to mount them on the inner fender & running the main power circuits with (unfortunately) fusible links except for the heater fan power using a Delphi ATO/ATC fuse holder for the 30 amp fuse that all A/C cars should of had from the factory. I don't like having all those wires & links in a pain in the arse location.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor