Fusible link

Before I read your reply I just cut the fusible links out and hard wired it and everything works as it should. I just bumped the starter and it works but I didn’t know if I should try to start it without those fusible links installed. I didn’t want to ruined anything. I’m thinking I just got some bunk fusible links. If I got some inline fuse holders what gauge wire and what amp fuse should I get? I appreciate your help.

Great news! The fusible links can easily be tested by trying to pull apart the insulation, if the wire inside is broken you'll see it stretches out when you do....or just an ohm test at either end to see if it's open circuited.

Read the earlier posts again about using Mega Fuses, and/or fused Junction block options near the battery or at the battery and take both of those 12 ga RED wires that were using the fusible links out of the engine harness, and try to bring them up from the starter motor solenoid to the top side of the engine, or fenderwell. If needed get yourself some quality 12ga (preferably red) wire and extend them both to the junction block, or directly to the battery. At the junction block, or battery post put some new fusible inks (like was originally down by the starter). If you put in mega fuses, I would probably go with about 50A, maybe 60A for each of those two RED wires.

You DEFINITELY do not want those two circuits left connected to the battery/starter post without any fusible link, or fuse protection. So even if you leave them down by the starter solenoid post, make sure you put back fusible links again. If not a short in either of those big red wires could cause a fire.

Given they're 12ga, you should be able to use something like this (7ft roll) and make your own fusible links, just get some good quality crimp and heat shrink sealing ring and butt splice connectors.

You can buy also them pre-made (with ring terminal and butt splice) as well from lots of online vendors, or local auto parts, Dorman, etc...it's really up to you.

I wouldn't use any cheap inline ATO style fuse holders in place of fusible links, especially if you leave them down by the starter solenoid where there is heat and usually oil/fluid leaks.

Good luck, sounds like you just need to make the permanent repair, whichever route you decide to go.

Here's a little more service manual information for you as well.

1721612896706.png

1721612944120.png

You almost certainly have an intermittent short on one of the main 12ga wires coming from the starter. Either on the engine side of the firewall or near the fuse panel on the inside. First thing I would do is trace every inch of the two wires that connect to those fusible links. This could be very difficult to find. Shorts can be found with a signal generator like PowerProbe sells but it would have to be in the shorted state for it to be useful. Otherwise, it's going to take physical inspection of the unfused circuits of those 2 wires that come from the starter. LIke I said, could be under the hood or under the dash.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor