G-bodies disappearing-never gave it much thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
RunAwayNJ said:
Sad but true - I never see any Grand Prix's or Cutlasses around here - mine is really the only 80's 442 at the local shows. There are a few Monte Carlo SS's, but no more than 3 that I see around. It's a shame.

Last fall I saw a GP at a junkyard in New Egypt on the way to Six Flags Great Adventure. Pulled the front frame brace off of it for my Regal. It might be still there if you need parts from it.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The Cash for Clunkers program shook them out of the hills. For a while the pickens were good, but since then the supply has dwindled. Wish I had grabbed a spare New Mexico right rear door for my wagon when there were such things at the U-Pull-and-Pay.
Pit, I have a friend in Switzerland that has parted out four G bodies. He may some spares you need.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
There are only going to be less G Bodies as time goes by, the same as any car no longer in production. There are less K Cars, Fieros, B Bodies, name any car no longer made.
If you wanted parts for your G body 15 years ago every junkyard had plenty, now the have nearly all been parted out, dirt track raced or demolition derbied, or simply weighed in for scrap.
On the other hand they are on the cusp of becoming valuable collectable cars for the lucky few of us that have one.

Roger.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You said it Rodger. The last G body was built in 88 which puts the average G body around 30 years old. Of course they are going to be disappearing just like the cars before them. As you said they will becoming more collectable and probably at their bottom prices right now. Found this one 2 years ago and had to bring it home.

Attachments

• IMG_4422.JPG
    IMG_4422.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 478

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
A few things helped do them in. Age, high scrap prices and cash for clunkers.
With the cash for clunkers program, the cars engine had to be destroyed by the dealership then the car could be held by a recycler for 180 days to part out then what was left had to be destroyed. Lots of Really nice G bodies went through the program in my area. You had to have a near perfect car(non SS, 442,GN G body) back then for it to be worth the $4,500.00 max they would give you.
I don't think the stock car guys go through as many as you think. It takes a lot to bend most of the styles of caged chassis they run. Most don't build their cars like cup cars that are designed to fold on impact, and many don't see an issue with a slightly bent car.
We quit using stock bodies around 2001 when local tracks quit mandating them. We also had the aftermarket option, http://www.fivestarbodies.com/store/ind ... nt=70&pg=1

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Plenty here, nicer than mine, from the pics, $4500 and down. Even found two with 350 Rockets, big
deal here, most are factory sbc.One with the Olds 350 says $9000 invested, ported heads, Muther Thumper cam, looks like new paint too. He said offer or trades, probably could snag for much less.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
And this is the reason all the parts are being made aftermarket for Monte, Cutlass and Regal

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
G Body's have become pretty scarce in the boneyards here in Western Massachusetts... it used to be a bone pickers bonanza of G Body's, but like all things, their time is passing... same for 3rd Gens and 77-90 B Body's... basically any OBD I vehicles and older...

We had a junkyard in the region that stockpiled G Body's because of their connections to circle track racing...
"Fairview Auto Salvage" was G Body heaven, the economic slowdown leading to the 2008 collapse killed them and they went into bankruptcy. The entire yard, well over 200 cars, with probably 30+ G Body's, was crushed. Damn shame... He would get some damn good parts cars there and he was very reasonable on his prices... I bought two mint Monte doors and a trunk lid for $100 back in the early 2000's... He also owned a T-Type Turbo car.

Today, its been reopened by a new owner, yard contains lots of misc FWD junkers and prices are a bit high... they will dicker with ya, but only so much & inconsistant with pricing... paid $10 for a mint '82-'84 F Body steel gas cap, nickle plating was mirror almost with a quick wipe. Pulled a set of hard to find stainless '82-84 F Body door edge guards... $5, a week later '81-88 Monte stainless door edge guards $20... A few weeks later, I found the blower motor portion of the very hard to find E4ME Q-jet fuel inlet cooling fan system - (GM Dealer-installed TSB Service Repair Part to prevent fuel boiling)... the ducting was long gone and the blower housing had a big hole in it, but the motor itself spun freely... the Trans Am was a picked clean and fairly mangled. I spotted it and grabbed it because parts are unobtainium.... (My Recaro T/A has it.) Brought it up and they guy asked what it was & what I pulled it from... Told him what it was for, minus the rarity part... "$50"... I countered with $20, explained what was missing, and pointed out the hole in it... "$35 or put it back".... I bought it, but it was the last time I went there.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
This is the first I have heard about a E4ME Q-jet fuel inlet cooling fan system. Do you have any more info about this rare system? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor