G-bodies disappearing-never gave it much thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clone TIE Pilot said:
RunAwayNJ said:
Sad but true - I never see any Grand Prix's or Cutlasses around here - mine is really the only 80's 442 at the local shows. There are a few Monte Carlo SS's, but no more than 3 that I see around. It's a shame.

Last fall I saw a GP at a junkyard in New Egypt on the way to Six Flags Great Adventure. Pulled the front frame brace off of it for my Regal. It might be still there if you need parts from it.

didn't know you were another local

I am in the NJ side of the Philly metro area.

Clone Tie Pilot... just saw your post... yes, Ill get some info up soon with pictures...and the TSB if I can find it.

Hit a couple of junkyards recently and it was slim pickings. Only G bodies they had were the same ones from last fall.

A and G bodies are getting harder to find here also. My local yard crushed two this last week, a 79 Cutlass and 81 Malibu 4 door. About a month ago they crushed an 80 Cutlass 4 door.

Glad I live in the south where there are a plethora of G-, B-, and A-bodies around. I think the vast majority of us prefer the old cars we grew up with over the newer, bland looking junk. Also, we don't have to deal with emissions testing and all that crap.

Here in southern Wisconsin, they are few and far between.

If they aren't 75% bondo, they are some weird type of butchered pro touring alley mechanic b*st*rd child.
I do know of a few fine examples, all owned by gentlemen 50+.
I am all for making your car your own, but it seems these cars really appeal to the 20 somethings and they seem to have their own ideas of customizing that are ever so slightly :mrgreen: different than mine. But again, different strokes, different folks. Its called customizing for a reason and I can respect that.
That being said, seems most all 2 doors of the 70s and 80s seem to be disappearing IMO.

Qdub24 said:
Glad I live in the south where there are a plethora of G-, B-, and A-bodies around. I think the vast majority of us prefer the old cars we grew up with over the newer, bland looking junk. Also, we don't have to deal with emissions testing and all that crap.

Road salt in the harsh northen winters dissolves cars into dust, besides sidewalks, overpasses, bridges, rebar, highway supports, the roads themselves, etc. You southern boys and gals don't know how luckly you are with not having to deal with salt. Northern cars get consumed by salt in a few years, not leaving too many older models left for even donating parts.

They surely aren't as plentiful and cheap as they were 20 years ago! Everything in my area is either beat, rusted out or overpriced for what it is. The funny thing is that the prices on the nice 442's and Monte SS haven't fluctuated much. GN's keep going up in price and so do the junkers. I used to pick up nice Malibus all day for under a grand....back in the 90's anyway. Now you can barely find a half decent roller for $2-3k.

i never drive my cutty in the winter months unless i absolutely have to and I have nothing else to drive. NJ winters and the salt / road tratments they put down really really eat up cars. My accord was rust free 4 years ago, now I need to catch up with the rust repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor