G body 8.5 or ford 9 inch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
What is everyone's thought on the smaller Ford 8" rear, not the 8.8 but the 8" I have the chance to buy one ready to bolt in. Was used in a 1979 Malibu with 500HP and currently has 3:73 with a mini spool and ready to go.

Not a whole lot of readily available parts for them anymore but if its complete and they only want a few hundred bucks...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for that. it is complete with drums and all. Asking $300 Canadian. Thinking of offering $200 and see what he says.

if it comes with the control arms to fit it on a G body I'd pay the $300. When I sell parts if someone sends me an offer that I consider a lowball I don't reply and won't sell it to them

CruzinKaz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2018
Niagara Region, Ontario Canada
if it comes with the control arms to fit it on a G body I'd pay the $300. When I sell parts if someone sends me an offer that I consider a lowball I don't reply and won't sell it to them

I always ask if someone is open to offers before I make one our of courtesy. After all, they can always say no right. My concern is the internals, being such an old rear end. I would certainly have to put a complete bearing and seal kit which is a couple hundred dollars for peace of mind. It only has the stock control arms which would never handle over 450hp hard launches. So I would need to spend at least $700 on this rear. He did say he was open to offers.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I always ask if someone is open to offers before I make one our of courtesy. After all, they can always say no right. My concern is the internals, being such an old rear end. I would certainly have to put a complete bearing and seal kit which is a couple hundred dollars for peace of mind. It only has the stock control arms which would never handle over 450hp hard launches. So I would need to spend at least $700 on this rear. He did say he was open to offers.

I do the same but if you have to put $700 on top of what you will pay I'd be looking for something else. I dont know if you planning to tub your car but this is a steal for what you get

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmissio...nd/1388981579?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

CruzinKaz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2018
Niagara Region, Ontario Canada
I do the same but if you have to put $700 on top of what you will pay I'd be looking for something else. I dont know if you planning to tub your car but this is a steal for what you get

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmissio...nd/1388981579?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Wow That is a nice package for sure. Turns out the guy will accept my $200 offer and let me know all the bearings and seals were done 4 months back and maybe 3000km. Only reason he is selling it was it came on the parts car he bought. So looks like I'm good to go.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Congrats! A steal indeed!

-Gonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor