G-Body- Last Of The Muscle Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The definition of a muscle car has changed over the years.
I dont remember anything about a car having to have a full frame to be a muscle car. Novas do not have a full frame but you could get a big block in them. They are muscle cars but a 6 banger nova is not.
Big horse power in mid sized cars was usually what classified a car as a muscle car but in this day with all these little rice burners, they tend to classify anything old with a 5.0 L engine or bigger a muscle car.

how can you say a 66 stang with a 6 banger is a muscle??? muscle=strong as in strong motor. i would consider a new school stang a muscle car as long as it was a gt or v8, not a v6. the v6 versions were for people that wanted the muscle car look with out the speed and high insurance rates, basically its a girly car.... i consider a muscle car to be a rear wheel drive v8 car with a "strong" motor in it. when have you ever heard a v6 stang mentioned in a magazine or whatever being a muscle car???? g body with v6=car ready for us, g body with a built v8=muscle.... i would put my cutty up to a 66 stang v6 any day of the week and stomp it, hell i would put it against a stock 66 v8 stang but thats besides the point

My opinion would be as such:
Muscle car-2 door intermediate rwd,big block V8 with minimum 300 horse(factory),true dual exhaust.IE-GTO,Chevelle,GTX,442,S/S Dodge,etc.
Pony car-2 door rwd,small block V8 with minimum 265hp(factory),true dual exhaust.IE-Mustang,Camaro,Javelin.
The general concensus is 1964-1974,but it may vary slightly.After the SD455 Trans Am,there were no rip snortingly powerful cars.Emissions and low compression smothered the V8.A 195hp 454 is nothing but a boat anchor.
A 1981 Z/28 isn't really a muscle car.It doesn't have the hp.
G body cars are not muscle cars.No hp.They all ran single exhaust.Crossover pipe,single to the cat,then split in two.Not real dual exhaust.
As usual,there is an exception,sort of.The GN & GNx.
A sports car by definition is a two seater.Corvette,Viper.Both over 500hp!!
Can't wait to see the new Camaro and Challenger!!

Anyhow,the above is my opinion.
For what it's worth.

V6, inline six, still a six banger, i am not up on ford products....

above it was said that vettes and vipers are sports cars, yes but they are also now called exotic cars, they are compared to lambos and ferraris(excuse spelling)

also mentioned that a gn and gnx as muscle but not a g body???? they are v6 not v8 also??????

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars ... tion.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car

I think that the term muscle car is used to loosely. Not every car from the muscle car era was considered muscle because it had to meet a general set of requirements.

Some g-bodys did have some power but those specific features were not available on low option cars. You could not buy a monte carlo LS with the SS engine transmission and gearing.

This question basically compares apples to oranges.

Sadly, Muscle cars are dead.

heres another theing to think about.... new v8 stangs, v8 chargers, magnums........ the whole idea of muscle seems to be coming back and they are rwd v8 cars.....

The difference in price from a V6 mustang to a V8 mustang is about 6500 bucks.

The difference in price from a Charger SE to a Charger R/T is 9000 bucks.

When the big three made the cars of the 60s you could have a plain jane charger with a hemi and a 4 speed for just the price of the motor and trans. The other bells and whistles didnt come with it.

Most muscle cars were available to the common man and women. Most common men and women cannot afford the new aged muscle.

Its just not the same. It probably will never be the same.

8) Everybody has a different idea of a muscle car, obviously. To me, a Mustang, Camaro, Firebird (Trans Am for people that don't think they are the same) Cuda, Roadrunner, Nova, Challenger, Charger, GTO, Corvette are all muscle cars and always will be, even if they were way under powered (that can be fixed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor