G-Body- Last Of The Muscle Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC$$

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
pawtucket, ri
megaladon6 said:
i had an 81 malibu with the 267ci v8 engine, RWD and 2 doors. it was NOT a muscle car!!

i meant to say that in order to be a muscle car, it had to be 2 door, v8, rwd, ect... i def dont think if they meat that criteria that makes them a muscle car though.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
my mistake.
although i'm having an attack of devil's advocate :twisted: : Grand National

GrandPrixJamie

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2007
Schenectady New York
redsx2434 said:
In my own opinion the g-body's were the last of the muscle cars, most of the former muscle cars had either vanished or had turned into sports cars (corvette) What do you guys think?

I agree with you. I too believe that the gbody is the last muscle car. mustangs and camaros had been more of a sports car for many years while the gbody kept more of a muscle car theme.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
from factory, no. g-bodies generally wernt ever muscle cars. Except the GN of course. I also dont think that muscle cars really went away. Im not sure what to consider the camaro's and trans am's. They arent completley a sports car, but not completely a muscle car either. But if you consider them muscle cars then then muscle has lived on.
The g-bodies are the last of an era though. When transplanting new motors was fairly easy, and creating a sleeper was much more possible. These car do have aggressive styling though. Which i think tends to mislead people who arent totally fimilar with them to think that they are muscle cars.

MC$$

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2007
pawtucket, ri
all g bodies cannot be considered muscle cars, but g bodies can be made into muscle cars.

mc ss
g nat

^muscle cars imo

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
:soapbox:
The definition of a "muscle car" is changing. A lot of cars that were never classified as "muscle" have become that way such as Monte Carlos. Monte's were never a muscle car, they were a luxury coupe; but by todays standards they fit into muscle. The new definition of muscle is anything with a V8. Sadly that brings pony cars such as the F-Body and Mustang into the realm of muscle. The definition had to change . There are no more frame on body cars (save for the Crown Vic which is no longer available to the public after '07). It'd have to say that the GBody cars were the last platform that could have been considered "muscle". Although restrictive emissions and tired 305 ruined the performance aspect they are an abundant frame on body car that is becoming more and more popular. I'd have to classify GBody's as muscle simply because half of them are running high hp/torque SBC in them today.

wolfs1959

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2007
Kansas city MO
Well I dont think they are muscle cars in my opinion they are sports cars. I had a 66 nova and a 69 chevelle SS and they were all power and no(to speek of) suspension in stock form. in my opinion a muscle car is exactly that all muscle and no creature comforts. muscle cars were made to be fixed and not replaced. Im not saying that gbodys were but they were definately built in the begining of the "disposable car" era that we are in. I could go on but its all just my opinion.

Joe

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
sports car????? sports cars to me are civics and cavaliers........ i say that a g body is a muscle car assuming they have a decent v8 in them and not a 307 or 305. then again what do we call a grand national??? its a v6 but it was stompping any other american made car in its day.... i say its muscle....... now if you have a v6 g body, no way, dont know what to call it but its not muscle....

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
regalman4925 said:
sports car????? sports cars to me are civics and cavaliers........ i say that a g body is a muscle car assuming they have a decent v8 in them and not a 307 or 305. then again what do we call a grand national??? its a v6 but it was stompping any other american made car in its day.... i say its muscle....... now if you have a v6 g body, no way, dont know what to call it but its not muscle....

Well that would be like saying an old 1966 Mustang with a staight 6 isn't a muscle car, just because it's not fast doesn't mean it's not a muscle car. Plenty of muscle cars were under powered. :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor