g-body power steering box woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stg1Regal

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2008
www.cardomain.com
In my 82 Regal I put my 86 GN powersteering gear box, it runs off the pump of the 71 455.. works great to an extent.

I have recently been experincing that in a stright line while driving, i feel a loose spot in the steering while at center, seems to "catch" or engage 1" to 1.5" from center.. wich gives me 3" of a loose feel in the wheel.

So I thought replace the rag joint maybe thats bad, so I go all out, and just switch to the Jeep steering Shaft conversion. (BTW) I really like..

Nope... still there... so I find or discover one can adjust the load on the steering box to over come wear, 5/8" jamb nut and 3/16" allen on top of the box.

So I follow close what most of the internet info thats out there and adjust it.. yep now it "seems" tighter.. but still that "loose" spot at the top and bcause of the firmer feel its twicher.. so it seems when i wanna switch lanes, or manuver thru traffic, it very upredictable , you have to "saw" at the wheel.

Tried to adjust it back.. but no avail .....

Any ideas? thoughts....... it is a brand new suspension and tires, done in poly.

kinda heasitant about driving it again after a 4 hr round trip . it was fun
:roll:

first thing, i see you have a new suspension, did you have it professionally aligned?
i'd just leave it be. if the spot is only about 1.5 it's relatively normal. IIRC the rule of thumb is 0.1in for every inch in diameter of the steering wheel. but it could even be the circumfrence.

New suspension would mean springs and shocks. What about front end? Idler arm, center link, tie rods, ball joints, and bushings?

I also put in all new linkage... everything.

I tried the "Over Center" adjustment while the Box was still on the car according to the http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/boxmesh.shtml tech pages.
the one contributed by J. Matthew Daugherty.

That "numb" feeling on center is still there, so maybe I should remove it and set it up and include thrust bearing preload as done by Jeff Davidson?

Or play only more with the Over Center adjustment?, Like Jeff stated
If the "over center" adjustment is even slightly too tight, the steering will feel 'numb' on center and not want to return to center after a turn.

Dead on what my feels like.

Any one around the Richmond,Muncie, Indianapolis, IN. area, know how to set these up?

I like to have it resolved in time for the Pro-touring.com Run Thru The Hills in Sept. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor