G-body to A-body spindle swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i think mounting important brake brackets to the old dust shield holes is taking a chance

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
nycutlass said:
i think mounting important brake brackets to the old dust shield holes is taking a chance

why? that's how your rear brakes are mounted right now.... rear brakes put more pressure on the mounts than the fronts anyways...

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
1evilregal said:
nycutlass said:

why? that's how your rear brakes are mounted right now.... rear brakes put more pressure on the mounts than the fronts anyways...
but your fronts do 85% of stopping ,your back brakes dont do nearly as much stopping ,and the one bolt is on the main leg of where the ball joint mounts onto......i guess everyone has different views of this .

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
yeah, I know about the percentage part, but part of the structure for the front calipers also supports the front suspension... the rear is supported elsewhere, and the entire brake drum only has thos few small bolts to support the rotational force... you're mounting the braket plate onto those same bolts with the same amount of rotational force...not much difference when you think of it....

hopefully I made some kind of sense, I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning. :mrgreen:

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
Subscribed!

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
nycutlass said:

Ever heard of Baer brakes? This is the identical style kit they sell without the expensive name to go with it. Same parts! Same PBR calipers, same style bracket, same mounting points. This setup has been used on many cars for years. If you use thinner/rusted metal for the brackets or weaker mounting bolts, yeah you'll probably have trouble. Use good parts and there are no problems with this setup.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
86Cutlass383SR said:
nycutlass said:

Ever heard of Baer brakes? This is the identical style kit they sell without the expensive name to go with it. Same parts! Same PBR calipers, same style bracket, same mounting points. This setup has been used on many cars for years. If you use thinner/rusted metal for the brackets or weaker mounting bolts, yeah you'll probably have trouble. Use good parts and there are no problems with this setup.
your kidding me baer brakes does the same thing . i have to look into this ,i wonder if i can find a baer brake install sheet or something like that .

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I haven't installed a set of Baer brakes as I can't afford the approx $1500 for a set of them. From what I've heard though they come fully assembled. You pull your spindle, brakes and all, and install their fully assembled spindle/brake setup. If you'll notice, most pictures of the Baer brakes show only the fancy shiny front side, not the adapted back side. They'd rather you not *see* how to get those brakes on your car cheaply (as in budget priced), they want you to buy their kit.

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
What is the best spindle to use on the G-body for handling?
Is the B Spindle the best choice out there now?
I am doing a C-5 conversion on a 87 ElCo.

Thanks,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor