Garage addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
sweet, I am glad to see that I am not the only one doing this. I am getting ready to extend a attached 20 wide x 24 deep an additional 32 feet and it will widen to 24 wide as soon as it clears the back of the house. I have been dealing with a single car garage with a full lower level shop under it for 10 years and been using a garage spot in my girlfriends garage for the last 3 years so I cant wait to have real space!

Reactions: 1 users

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
Update got ceiling joist in started on the roof rafters
20171223_161754.jpg 20171223_161806.jpg 20171223_163601.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 9 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
IMG_20171123_133044649.jpg
That's awesome!!! Having just recently gone from working out of (not in) a single car garage with a sloped driveway for 12+ years to something a little better I can say that it's really nice!

Reactions: 8 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Man, your Estate brings me back to high school. It looks a bit like me, older, going white around the edges!

What's the condition beyond Shop Envy?!

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I'm not a fan of the wood. It's already off the drivers side. Having a shop is a life achievement for sure. My dad and I put it together and it was a huge project but worth it. It's 50x60 insulated steel clearspan. We built an apartment in it to live in while building a house for my family as well as a house for my parents. It's a compound in the making. Even with the apartment I still have 2400 sqft of floor space. Some will be used up in wood working tools but that's fun too.

Reactions: 2 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I'm not a fan of the wood. It's already off the drivers side. Having a shop is a life achievement for sure. My dad and I put it together and it was a huge project but worth it. It's 50x60 insulated steel clearspan. We built an apartment in it to live in while building a house for my family as well as a house for my parents. It's a compound in the making. Even with the apartment I still have 2400 sqft of floor space. Some will be used up in wood working tools but that's fun too.

I love your shop, especially with the apartment. I always wanted a huge garage with a loft apartment looking down on the work area.

From experience I can say that if you're gonna use your car garage as a woodworking shop too, you'll want to either close off an area for woodworking or have a really good dust collection setup. Sawdust seems to get everywhere it shouldn't.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Sawdust is useful for picking up oil spills.

That is one of it's very few redeeming qualities. Lol.

At the junkyard we used sawdust to clean up messes in the garage. I found that the finer the sawdust, the better it absorbs spills. We got our sawdust from a local countertop shop. It was very fine. It worked really well and it was free. They were glad to get rid of it.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That is one of it's very few redeeming qualities.
It's also good for an emergency gear oil replacement in an old stick transmission. Quite a few last gen Army Jeeps was able to make it to the motor pool with that fix (wouldn't recomend for anything else one plans to rebuild.)

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
Well the past couple of weekends the weather has been in the negatives and has been putting the garage on hold but we worked for a few hours on sunday both sides of the roof rafters and the fly rafters are done hope this weekend we can get it closed up

20180107_154230.jpg 20180107_154254.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor