Gauge cluster swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curlz

Apprentice
Aug 4, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey Guys, I have been offered a gauge cluster from an 85 monte carlo column shift. I have an 81 malibu column shift and I am wondering how difficult the switch is, not from a "will it fit?" but more is the harness the same? My malibu has just the idiot lights (Right), and the monte carlo has analog gauges and a tach (left). I do plan on doing a bbc swap later so the tach is nice and will look stock. Any insight would be appreciated
Snip20150611_3.png
Snip20150611_2.png

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
It can be done...you will need to "repin" your cluster connection to work with the full gauge pkg. You will also need the appropriate sending units (water and oil) for full gauges. This link is about the best I know for the repin..

http://www.maliburacing.com/gauge_conversion.html

you will also need the white wire and tach filter for the tach...it would be in location 17 in the harness.

white wire..
3keufi.jpg

tach filter..

0pNf8D.jpg

You will also need to find another gauge outer bezel for one with the wiper switch in dash or you could cut the hole out of the one pictured.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor