gauges, watcha got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
taking a side track from my Grand prix dash swap so i figured id ask about some functional guages. whats everyone running? Who makes the best quality? Who makes the cheapest & most expensive. Whats better mechanical or electric? Most likely ill be tryin to get a tach & speedo 1st. I'm liking the, AUTOMETER AMERICAN MUSCLE TACHOMETER/SPEEDOMETER COMBO, but im not lettin off that much coin!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Classic instruments is one of the best out there.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I have stock and aftermarket in my cutlass. I basically just have cheap sunpro oil psi,tach and coolant gauges to replace the stock ones that werent accurate and stock volt meter fuel gauge and speedometer. They work geat for the price but i plan to put a full set of mechanical gauges in my dash when i have the time and money, i like the autometers "traditional chrome" gauges and i will retrofit them into my dash cluster to have that stock appearing look.

on a side note, i havent had any trouble with mechanical gauges, oem stock electrical gauges however always gave me trouble and were inaccurate when worked.

traditional chrome-
atm-2499_w.jpg

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
FE3X CLONE-I really like what this company offers but i get the feeling they are really expensive? Since i couldnt find prices on the website! Do you know any companys that have guages similiar in style to these?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
AutoMeter Sport-Comp mechanical gauges. I trust a mechanical oil pressure and water temperature gauge a little easier than I do the electric ones. I guess its kind of personal pereference.

dashgauges.jpg

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
not A GP but....

I was debating between the autometer phantom II and the sport comp II. I had to really think hard and long about what i wanted to do with my interior. so I went with the sport comp II. Ive always liked autometer.

the shift light is hidden in the vent on the left.
Im trying to keep the interior as stock looking as possible.

IMG00045-20110430-1710.jpg

here is a picture at night. the red light is the turn signal switch. you cant see it in pics really so i turned it on when i took it. (it does flash)

IMG00165-20110512-2106.jpg

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
GhettoRacingKid said:
not A GP but....

I was debating between the autometer phantom II and the sport comp II. I had to really think hard and long about what i wanted to do with my interior. so I went with the sport comp II. Ive always liked autometer.

the shift light is hidden in the vent on the left.
Im trying to keep the interior as stock looking as possible.

IMG00045-20110430-1710.jpg

here is a picture at night. the red light is the turn signal switch. you cant see it in pics really so i turned it on when i took it. (it does flash)

IMG00165-20110512-2106.jpg
Nice set up...Where is your speedo and tach??

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
the only pic i could during the test and fit. dont have an updated pic . i belive they are autometer sport comp II the tach is a sunpro was installed there when i got the car
cutlassgaugues.png

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
JBreu said:
Nice set up...Where is your speedo and tach??

The what? and the who? lol.

No speedo, I thought about putting one in but I dont need to rack up mileage with burnouts but the original one is sitting in a box.

The Tach is a monster Tach, Right now its sitting in the center vent. and I ran the shiftlight wire in the dash and the light is behind the vent. I use the vent to hide it If i dont want the light showing.

I dont think I like where the tach is. my Next plan is to get a smaller tach and redo the gauge cluster to have the tach in there with the 4 gauges but I dont think it will fit. I got a good template and I did the wiring in a sick fashion.

The wiring: I bought a 6 wire harness. tied one end directly into the cars main harness, hot lead, lights, ground, turn signal left and right, and the fuel level sender.
the other end i made a harness for the gauges with all the grounds, lights, leads etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor