Gbody Vs Fox body T-bird/cougar???

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Fox cars are a good platform and comparable to the G body but built on a totally different design philosophy.

G Body was the last of the full frame mid size cars
Fox body was the first of the true unibody mid size cars

I parked my century wagon next to a fairmont wagon and the similarities were crazy. If you squinted from 30ft away it would be hard to tell the difference.

Maybe I am biased, but the G body almost seems to have aged better? Some of the GT and notch mustangs and capris have aged well, but the fairmont futuras are still ugly IMO, the cougars didnt get good until later, thunderbirds same deal.

The thing that makes the fox platform so popular is the 8.8 rear is cheap and they are light. They are SMALL cars too, much smaller than a G body, more comparable to a F body than a G body when you are talking about mustangs but ford did manage to make the platform work for a lot of different size cars, all the way up to the sn95 to the early 00's.

The fox platform had a bit more longevity in it which meant it got good after the G body went out of production. Would have been interesting to see a 2nd G body refresh in the 84-86ish timeframe like the fox got with cougar/thunderbird where it got new doors, fenders, ect and see what could have came.

Ford did do a better job with brake and rear end upgrades on more mass-market cars where the G body was the same with the exception of low 5 figure 8.5 rear production.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I don't think it's a horrible comparison at all. They both fell into about the same spot in either manufacturer's lineup. They both have great interchangeability and aftermarket support. If I were a Ford guy I'd probably look for a late Mark VII LSC and throw some handling parts and a supercharger at it. It'd be an easy sport-touring build. I think you could have a really nice finished car for under $10k. Probably be in a similar spot starting with a mid-production Monte Carlo and doing the same thing.

Reactions: 1 users

Lazarus

Greasemonkey
Dec 18, 2015
Monongahela Pa
Like I said just thought it would be a good comparison. Surprised there isnt more competition and friendly rivalry between the two. Never see the Tbird or my Cougar at the drags. Oh BTW Around Pittsburgh a 86/88 Monte SS in excellent condition with or without T tops are now clicking past $10,000. Project cars are $5/$7 k Rust buckets with frame rot are $1200/2500.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
They are both very capable platforms with tonnes of modifications to build whatever car you want. Some factory performance options (Turbo Buicks, 5.0s, Cobras, Turbo Coupes, SVOs, etc) and appearance packages (SS, H/O, 442, GT, etc) existed - but there were also some really pathetic lame duck offerings (Fairmounts, Zyphers, Cougars, LTDs, and every base model G-body ever).

At the end of the day it comes down to styling - and let's be honest there are some ugly/undesirable G-bodies. So while, the Cougar's vertical back glass is a visual abomination, we have the sins of the aero-back A/G-bodies. Getting an undesirable car in good condition for cheap is not a surprise.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Ooops, I forgot to mention that both have equally horrible 3.8s and early overdrives that were prone to failure as well as lame rear gearing.

I've worked on several Fox bodies over the years but never owned one. Closest thing I ever had was a '93 Mark VIII that I really liked (right up until I drove it through a power pole). When I parted it out there were Mustang guys buying parts so I know there is at least some interchangeability even to layer cars. Those cars are a real bargain right now, if you ask me. 280hp, 30mpg, 4 wheel discs, IRS, auto adjusting air suspension, leather, and all the Lincoln bells and whistles for $2-3K all day long. Try that with a Gbody.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ooops, I forgot to mention that both have equally horrible 3.8s and early overdrives that were prone to failure as well as lame rear gearing.

I've worked on several Fox bodies over the years but never owned one. Closest thing I ever had was a '93 Mark VIII that I really liked (right up until I drove it through a power pole). When I parted it out there were Mustang guys buying parts so I know there is at least some interchangeability even to layer cars. Those cars are a real bargain right now, if you ask me. 280hp, 30mpg, 4 wheel discs, IRS, auto adjusting air suspension, leather, and all the Lincoln bells and whistles for $2-3K all day long. Try that with a Gbody.

Indeed. If I can unload the TBSS and get a Hellcat I am looking at the Mark VIII as a new winter beater.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Always hated Ford's electrical connectors.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I don't care for a couple things on Fox bodies. They kinda crash (no pun intended) and rattle down the road, and they have a peanut sized engine bay to make way for dinner table sized fenders. I know where there is a thunderchicken that has huge money into making it a road racer and I would totally LS swap that car and drive the wheels off of it. Not absolutely against the ferd chassis but I do prefer a Gbody.
IMG_20180504_150714063_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180504_150758301_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180504_150720793_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180504_150733215_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180504_150921326_HDR.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I don't care for a couple things on Fox bodies. They kinda crash (no pun intended) and rattle down the road, and they have a peanut sized engine bay to make way for dinner table sized fenders. I know where there is a thunderchicken that has huge money into making it a road racer and I would totally LS swap that car and drive the wheels off of it. Not absolutely against the ferd chassis but I do prefer a Gbody. View attachment 114073 View attachment 114074 View attachment 114075 View attachment 114076 View attachment 114077
That thing is pretty awesome! I'd put a crate Coyote in it, mainly because I want flat plane crank exhaust harmonies.

• Agree
  • Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor