Gear Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartruck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
Maryland
Hi i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what gears i might have. I have a 79 el camino i think stock it was a 305 with a 3 speed th350 im guessing and it is the original gears. Just trying to get an idea of what i have thanks for any help.

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
cartruck said:
thanks i expected something like that do u think 3.42s would be to much of a jump with a 3 speed?
3.42 gears would be good for the 350 trans they put them in the 83-84 monte carlo ss i have a 84 ss and i can burn tires and still cruise at highway speeds with low rpm..

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
If you do a lot of highway driving, you will not like them. You will be turning 3k rpms, it will be really noisy, and gas mileage will suck. 3.73's a good if you have an overdrive trans. 3.23 work pretty well with a 3-speed. If you car is driven mosly in town, 3.73's wouldn't be that bad. If your car staying in town most of its life, and the monte rear is a posi, I would swap the monte rear in. If you do a lot of interstate driving, I would swap in the monte rear, and an overdrive trans. Thats just me though.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
^^^^^^ +10 on that!

cartruck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
Maryland
Ok thanks i dont want to go with a 4 speed the trans i have was just rebuilt an i have a th400 for a back up i wont be doing alot of highway driving but i do plan to do some. Is there anything inbetween 3.42 and 3.73s? Its not a daily driver any more so im not to worryed about the mpgs.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
cartruck said:
Hi i was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what gears i might have. I have a 79 el camino i think stock it was a 305 with a 3 speed th350 im guessing and it is the original gears. Just trying to get an idea of what i have thanks for any help.
Ive had two rear ends both out of 78-81 el camino's, they both had 2.73 gears & both were posi. Not saying they were all
2.73's though. I put one of them in my cutlass & I feel its just about right for a 3 speed trans. I originally had 2.41 open rear end, I could not believe the difference just from 2.41 to 2.73.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor