gear vendors overdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

j17_mia

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2009
has anybody used it before? is it helpful? i im interested in putting one in my car

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
I have not used one, but they always seem to get good reviews in the car magazines. I'd be interseted in knowing if anyone on here has tried one as well.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I seen that Stacey David guy on the old "Trucks" show use one on his 'Copperhead' truck. Looked like a really cool unit. But never seen one in person yet.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I've been around a couple of customer trucks with them. They are a good unit and and work well. The biggest problem in a passenger car is usually the required floor pan/transmission modifications that need to be made to fit the unit in.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
from what gearvenders said to me when i asked about the unit for a g-body they said u need to bang out the floor with a hammer 1/2 inch on both sides just where the lip of the unit is.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I haven't used one either but all I've heard is good. Will hold over 2000hp so strength shouldn't be an issue. But at over $2000 I'd think therewould be a cheaper alternative. $1500 + for a good transmission pluss $2000 + for the GV.

Just curious, what will the GV unit do that a good overdrive transmission won't? I've always wondered this.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
86Cutlass383SR said:
Just curious, what will the GV unit do that a good overdrive transmission won't? I've always wondered this.

You can split all the gears with it. Making a th350 act like a six speed.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
I have installed 2 of these in streetrods. They are awesome. Depending on the unit you go with the benefit of this as opposed to just getting a normal OD trans is the fact that you can shut off overdrive and it will be a 350 again. They are great just pricey. Gbody you will definitely have to modify the floor.

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
I was interesting in the overdrive also but they are kinda out of my price range right now. Do you think they can work in conjunction with the 200r4 or override the overdrive that it already has? I ask because I just got a new idea about a very fuel efficient.----Twin turbo 305(or one big single), 200r4 trans with gear vendors, and some nice highway gears. The 305 already gets high 20 to 30 miles. So with the turbo for power and making the engine more efficient along with a trans that will help mileage rather than hurt things could be interesting. I could only imagine the mileage increase if putting a gear vendor on the 200r4 is possible.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Don't think you can put it on a 2004r, don't they have a one piece case? A 700r4 maybe. You need to be careful with trying to run the rpms to low taking the engine out of its power range. My malibu with a 700r4 and 2.41 gears got worse mileage than it did after I put in 3.73's. However making it have 8 forward gears could potentially help it, making it easier to get up to speed. That's why we are starting to see 6 and 7 speed atou transmission's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor