Gen/batt light staying on

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Well, you have a wiring issue; but you already knew that, right?

Okay, first off where does the idiot light go and what does it do? The Gen light is supposed to be powered up when the key is on. Power goes to the light from the ignition switch. The ground side of the circuit actually grounds at your alternator inside. You've seen the two wire plug on top of your alternator? It has a number 1 and a number 2 on it. Number 1 is the ground for your idiot light. Number 2 is power from the battery to your voltage regulator.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that when you unplug that connector on the alternator your light goes out. That means that either there is s short in your plug, or most likely your voltage regulator inside your alternator is shorted out.

Good luck!!

CALI-WAGON_09

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2009
Los Angeles,CA
Thanks i'm going to go outside and check plus take the alt to be checked i think thats the prob engine sat outside for a year
btw do you know where the green wire plugs into? thanks again

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The wire for the idiot light will be the smaller of the two wires on the plug. The big one runs back to the post on the back of the alternator and runs the voltage regulator circuit. I want to say the small wire is orange, but that may just be on American Motors applications that used the 10si alternators.

o'mally

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2012
Sorry to bring the dead back to life. My light stays on when the car is running. I thought a bad ground. I found a loose boot with stripped out hole. I cleaned that coach and fixed the hole. Solid contact now. But the light stays on. I unplugged the two write connector and the light does go off. Now the system stays charged and everything is fine but the light. Can any one help shed light on this. Is it a bad wire or bad voltage regulator our bad ground in the system. Thank you

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
If you unplugged the connector and the light went out, then your wiring is fine. Your voltage regulator is bad. The regulator runs that wire to ground to light up the bulb on the dash, so that is your culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor