Get ready for those 1099-K's all you online sellers

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So 69hurstolds your mention is the first I have seen that the govt claims they won't tax you on the PayPal 1099k's unless your make over 400k,

Is that an IRS statement or where did you get that from?

I was under the understanding the 1099k auto report and gets rolled into your gross income like any other 1099k.

PayPal has emailed me multiple times saying I need to enter my TIN. Nope, never.

Also did PayPal actually remove the F&F option? Wouldn't surprise me.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
If you use the F&F option it doesn’t count on the reportable monies, I’m fairly certain but things keep changing…but if you’re really selling things it‘s to strangers.

This could help swap meets out and CL/cash sales of any kind of course.

Lots of people won’t think about it until they get the 1099k in 2023, so I doubt too much will change in 2022.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So, what's the odds of "green" paper being sent in place of a electronic transfer?
But a real question, can they nail you for using CAD buying of selling to our members up north? I know Ebay tried to tax me on a purchase from Germany in Euro's that I cancelled as they tried to tax the amout as if it was dollars (was over 100 Euro's including shipping!) This was when this online taxing started.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So 69hurstolds your mention is the first I have seen that the govt claims they won't tax you on the PayPal 1099k's unless your make over 400k,

Is that an IRS statement or where did you get that from?

I was under the understanding the 1099k auto report and gets rolled into your gross income like any other 1099k.

PayPal has emailed me multiple times saying I need to enter my TIN. Nope, never.

Also did PayPal actually remove the F&F option? Wouldn't surprise me.
No, I didn't say that, and sorry if I wasn't clear. A 1099-K is for you to file, and account for on your taxes. Even if you get a 1099-K from say, eBay for $900 for selling sh*t, and you show fair market value of say, $1000, then you sold as a loss and you won't pay any taxes on the loss.

The powers that be run around promising not to raise any taxes on anyone making <400K per year. Separate issue. But in the meantime, loopholes can be squeezed and taxation effectively goes up just by doing that. They're going to treat everyone as a tax cheat first, even if you make <400K. And if they get their way, your bank will tattle to the IRS anything that aggregates over 10K in or out of your bank account every year. The 1099-K was originally touted as all these UBER drivers and similar people hustling on the side not paying any taxes. That was the initial reason. I'll let you be the judge. Which of course morphs into anything over $599.99 per year getting money from any entity nets you a 1099-K. They're really trying to get rid of cash money altogether if they had their way. It's easier to track that way.

It's not even a factor of paying taxes owed, it's just a PITA factor of now you have to start acting like a business keeping records when you're not even a business. That's the part that sucks donkey balls. Might as well get a business license, run the business into the ground for what, 3 years, go defunct, then start a new business.

It's going to be interesting to see how all this plays out to say the least. If there's a legal loophole out there, someone's going to find it. Stay frosty.

Nov 4, 2012
The powers that be run around promising not to raise any taxes on anyone making <400K per year.

Heh. Heh heh. If I remember correctly didn't a certain someone campaign on that pretty hard like a year or two ago?

Nov 4, 2012
From here on out I'll be paying for everything with physical gold and silver and will only be accepting the same as payment. I encourage you all to do the same.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
No, I didn't say that, and sorry if I wasn't clear. A 1099-K is for you to file, and account for on your taxes. Even if you get a 1099-K from say, eBay for $900 for selling sh*t, and you show fair market value of say, $1000, then you sold as a loss and you won't pay any taxes on the loss.

The powers that be run around promising not to raise any taxes on anyone making <400K per year. Separate issue. But in the meantime, loopholes can be squeezed and taxation effectively goes up just by doing that. They're going to treat everyone as a tax cheat first, even if you make <400K. And if they get their way, your bank will tattle to the IRS anything that aggregates over 10K in or out of your bank account every year. The 1099-K was originally touted as all these UBER drivers and similar people hustling on the side not paying any taxes. That was the initial reason. I'll let you be the judge. Which of course morphs into anything over $599.99 per year getting money from any entity nets you a 1099-K. They're really trying to get rid of cash money altogether if they had their way. It's easier to track that way.

It's not even a factor of paying taxes owed, it's just a PITA factor of now you have to start acting like a business keeping records when you're not even a business. That's the part that sucks donkey balls. Might as well get a business license, run the business into the ground for what, 3 years, go defunct, then start a new business.

It's going to be interesting to see how all this plays out to say the least. If there's a legal loophole out there, someone's going to find it. Stay frosty.

Ok, yup, I read past the lines. We're on the same page.

Absolutely, trying to sell $#!+ At a loss or break even masquerading as a business is a total hooplah runaround. I understand the desire to catch tax cheats but $600 is entirely too low of a bar.

I'm going back to check in the mail/money order for my stuff.

There's going to be a ton of butthurt people in 2023 that see the 1099k coming in like a stealth missile on their taxes. Plus, trying to account for $1000 of input cost on $600 of sales ($400 loss) is going to cost more than the tax that the $600 would be.

If I had individual stock on PayPal or Venmo I would dump it like a rock because past 2023 nobody is going to want to use it and deal the with 20-30% loss and potential complications at tax time.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Pay your fair share, subjects.
Remember, no taxation without representation.

Nobody with the power to dictate or steer any policy in meaningful way is represent my wants or interests.

Thus they do not deserve any taxes.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor