Getting my car to handle, What is my next step ?

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Everything I've been in that handled good had a high spring rate.
That does not mean you can put a high spring rate in a bus and expect to play with a Corvette but no one thing will replace high spring rates.
After that it's sway bars, stiff shocks, low profile tires. For your car old body bushings with a few probably missing. The frame is wiggling around under the car. A full set of poly's will connect the body to the frame. I'm not here to discourage bracing but adding hundreds of lbs of bracing helps while it hurts.

What do you have for rear upper control arm bushings?
I have possibly the original bushings back there as well
They appeared to be ..”ok” but I am planning to replace them now
Aftermarket trailing arms with bushing already installed don’t seem to be all that expensive , might go that route

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The biggest sway bars you can find. UMI rear, and later 442 , MC ( I think) front. 1 - 1 1/8 front. Then add a wheel and tire that has a low profile. This will make a big difference.

Of course the the body bushings need to be in hood working order. Calling Bruce - hockey pucks work great.

Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I read through the suggestions & discussions regarding the different areas to scrutinize.

What I didn't see was what were your alignment specs after getting it aligned? Factory specs are less than optimal as far as cornering performance goes so that could be a big piece of the puzzle if things aren't optimized.

Reactions: 3 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I read through the suggestions & discussions regarding the different areas to scrutinize.

What I didn't see was what were your alignment specs after getting it aligned? Factory specs are less than optimal as far as cornering performance goes so that could be a big piece of the puzzle if things aren't optimized.
Yes they were stock specs for the alignment with stock replacement ball joints
I will use taller ball joints when I replace control arm bushings

Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Although larger sway bars and stiffer springs will reduce body roll and improve confidence, I think that the best thing you can really do is start getting seat time at autocross events. From first hand experience, sticky tires will be fun but actually rob you of teachable moments. Go out on whatever tires you have now and push their limits. You can learn more in two events on bad tires than you can in 5 events on great tires. And once you know what your car will do in various situations, you'll better know what the car needs or doesn't need.
My earliest and favorite suspension mod was sway bars. They made the car feel confident. But let it be said that extra confidence can take you farther into the deep end than you realize, and when your head goes under it's best to already know how to swim.

Reactions: 7 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Although larger sway bars and stiffer springs will reduce body roll and improve confidence, I think that the best thing you can really do is start getting seat time at autocross events. From first hand experience, sticky tires will be fun but actually rob you of teachable moments. Go out on whatever tires you have now and push their limits. You can learn more in two events on bad tires than you can in 5 events on great tires. And once you know what your car will do in various situations, you'll better know what the car needs or doesn't need.
My earliest and favorite suspension mod was sway bars. They made the car feel confident. But let it be said that extra confidence can take you farther into the deep end than you realize, and when your head goes under it's best to already know how to swim.
solid advice that won't sway you

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor