Getting Your Foot In The Door In The Auto Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Hey guys. Just about 2-1/2 months ago, I got my first job, washing dishes at a small local restaurant. My boss must have seen some good qualities in me, because about a month later he started introducing me to cooking, and working the grill. I've been doing that ever since , very rarely washing dishes. We are very, very busy for only being a small restaurant, and I have only been cooking for about a month. I make little mistakes, and have taken all the advice my boss can give me, but quite honestly he is on a power trip. He has been working at the place for 15 years, and I guess he thinks its time for him to take the throne, which isn't happening. Anyways, he treats me like a peice of crap, so if a man to man talk doesn't fix that in the short term, then I guess I will be (and still am) looking for a new job. I am interested in becoming an Automotive Designer, Engineer, or Journalist. I'd like to get started in the auto industry somewhere ASAP, but I'm not sure where. I am only 16, I know most places only hire at 18. Any suggestions from you guys?

breeaad

Greasemonkey
Jun 4, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
I am an engineer for a supplier of Nissan. We stamp and assemble steel frame components. I got my job with a degree in mechanical engineering. I work on the manufacturing side of things, and I can't say its a glamorous job. Being a car guy doesn't really make the job more enjoyable, as my job is really about manufacturing and not cars. I could just as easily work for an appliance manufacturer, and the basics of my job would be similar. What I have seen from the design side is a little better, but still isn't what I would have expected when I was in college. Again, the design side is really about the aspect of designing some component of a vehicle, and being a car guy wouldn't make it much more exciting. If I could give any advise to someone who wants to work in the auto industry because they love cars, its this: Do something on the post-sale side of things. There are lots of jobs in warranty investigation, customer satisfaction, field quality, etc, that would allow you to actually work with cars. Most of those positions require an engineering degree, and mechanical engineering is typically the most desired dicipline. Being an engineering manager, I sometimes also hire people with industrial engineering or engineering technology degrees. But that is for a manufacturing setting. If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
I have that same feeling man im 19 years old and still work part time at a Hardwear store. I'd love to be a mechanic but I hear there isnt much money in it these days. Its hard to really get a career going My dad makes it seem like its so easy but really back in the 70's and 80's you could get a job at GM and be set for life you know? Nowadays i dont know what i really wanna do.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Get used to that ******* boss. You will have many more throughout your life.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Go to school guys! Thats the best advice I can give.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
And right now you guys gotta realize there are a lot of unemployed people with very valuable skills having a hard time finding work. You need skills and education. Or you have to naturally be damn good at something. If you want to work in the auto industry you could start at a dealership detailing cars or sweeping floors after hours. You gotta start at the bottom. I would say a college education is mandatory for engineering or writing. So you may want to accept that and look at going to college out of high school. Get a local job, go to community college for the first couple years. A lot of them have programs where you can attend 2-3 years community and attend 1 year at a university and get a bachelors from that university. A lot has changed in the last 10-15 years. I am not old but I remember opening the newspaper and getting a job in a few days. Now I have to struggle to keep a 9 dollar an hour job. Market is flooded with skilled workers and not enough jobs. Find a way to get a leg up on the competition. Also consider moving if you live somewhere where there are not a lot of jobs. My county holds 40k people. There is nothing here but walmart, temp jobs at factories and 9 dollar an hour customer service jobs like autozone or an oil change. Good Luck.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
tc1959 said:
online170 said:
X2
The Car Business ain't what It used To be.
x3! Im currently enrolled at UNOH in Lima, Ohio and I have met alot of people that are associated with the school like Kenny Wallace, Ken Schrader, and Tony Stewart. Definatley a great chance to meet people, learn from them and develop contacts for after school.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
-83MONTESS- said:
tc1959 said:
online170 said:
X2
The Car Business ain't what It used To be.
x3! Im currently enrolled at UNOH in Lima, Ohio and I have met alot of people that are associated with the school like Kenny Wallace, Ken Schrader, and Tony Stewart. Definatley a great chance to meet people, learn from them and develop contacts for after school.

x4, haha. I am currently enrolled in an Early College Highschool program, which means I'll have an Associates Degree straight put of high school. I know it isn't much at all, but there is an opening at a Jiffy Lube for a Lube Tech, I'm gonna try there and see what happens. I know it's just a Jiffy Lube, but it mean I will be doing something I enjoy for the most part, temporarily.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
x4, haha. I am currently enrolled in an Early College Highschool program, which means I'll have an Associates Degree straight put of high school. I know it isn't much at all, but there is an opening at a Jiffy Lube for a Lube Tech, I'm gonna try there and see what happens. I know it's just a Jiffy Lube, but it mean I will be doing something I enjoy for the most part, temporarily.
Associates degree in what? I went through the samething when I was in high school but if your looking to get into something like designing or engineering you will probly need more unless you know someone. When I graduate next year I will have an associate degree in Automotive Technology, High Performance Technology, and Alternate Fuels technology and I will probly still have some trouble finding a good job but I will have a far better chance than someone without those degrees and I will only have been in college for 3 years. A tech school is definatley the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor