HELP Glass fell when replacing power motor. Now window only rolls down 2/3 of the way. See video

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
I replaced the power window motor in the passenger side of my 1986 el camino, and accidentally let the glass drop during the job. once I got the new motor in, I held the glass all the way up while mating the new motor gear to the window assembly, tightened down the motor, and thought I'd be good.

Now, my window only rolls down 2/3 of the way before the gear on the window regulator seizes up (i may be using the wrong term here so I attached a video).

Please let me know if anyone knows what is causing that gear to seize up and keep my window from rolling down or any troubleshooting steps I can try.

problem vid

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Remove the motor and manual run the glass up and down to feel the resistance. The power window motor does not care what position or level the glass is at.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
Remove the motor and manual run the glass up and down to feel the resistance. The power window motor does not care what position or level the glass is at.
I don't 100% follow - I've already tried decoupling the motor gear from the regulator, manually lifting the glass up, and recoupling the gear and tightening the motor back in place. that's what led to the bind in the video...

If i remove the motor and dont support the window... won't it just fall again

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Support window from falling. Remove motor. The manually push window up and down and check for resistance from the guides.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
I replaced the power window motor in the passenger side of my 1986 el camino, and accidentally let the glass drop during the job. once I got the new motor in, I held the glass all the way up while mating the new motor gear to the window assembly, tightened down the motor, and thought I'd be good.

Now, my window only rolls down 2/3 of the way before the gear on the window regulator seizes up (i may be using the wrong term here so I attached a video).

Please let me know if anyone knows what is causing that gear to seize up and keep my window from rolling down or any troubleshooting steps I can try.

problem vid
Ended up fixing the problem by decoupling the motor from regulator, dropping window all the way down a few mm below the felts/sweeps, and then recoupling the gears and tightening down. Been working fine since.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor