GM 12 bolt or Ford 9 inch

Which rear would you use in your street/strip car?

• Moser GM 12 Bolt

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Moser Ford 9 Inch

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
grats on the parts ,post some pictures as you get more into it .just remember if u have new gears do like 600 mile on it befor you jump on it hard ....... 😀 your going to love the way it hooks .

Qdub24 said:
I'm replacing my 7.5 rear in the spring. I need help picking a rear assembly from Moser. I'm definitely running 30+ spline axles, posi or a locker, and 3.73-4.11 gear ratio. I may also add disc brakes to the axle package. Also, are either of these c-clip axles?

I vote for Ford "9. I have one installed in my car (31-spline Moser axles, Daytona pinion, 3.50 gears, Trac-loc) and haven't had any problems with it. They're pretty bullet-proof, not to say the 12-bolt is a slouch. CC (Car Craft) did an article on this a year or so ago, comparing the 9", 12-bolt, Dana 60 (believe it was the S-60) in weight, hp loss, parts availability and cost.

I see you're from Columbus - we're from Phenix City and have relatives / friends in Columbus.

ford 9 its the only thing i like about ford lol .you can install one and enjoy years of driving on one wheel lol .

nycutlass said:
grats on the parts ,post some pictures as you get more into it .just remember if u have new gears do like 600 mile on it befor you jump on it hard ....... 😀 your going to love the way it hooks .

600 MILES???????
Mine will be lucky to get 6 miles on it before it goes to the track!!!!

Chris Van said:
nycutlass said:

600 MILES???????
Mine will be lucky to get 6 miles on it before it goes to the track!!!!

if there brand new gears you need to break them in .they should of told u this .even if they set it up alittle lose u still need to .

My car hasn't seen 600 street driven miles in the last 5 years.... LOL
Maybe a hundred....

Thanks for all this info guys. I looked at Quick Performance's site earlier and really saw a lot that I liked. I have a question: What's the difference between these two axles that they offer?

Quick Performance 9" Coil-Spring Housings

9" GM G-Body Bolt-In Housing

g-body.gif

$715 Complete w/ Axles, Axle Bearings, Studs, & Retainers
- $345 Housing Only (Brackets Installed)
- ADD $30 for Moser Axles

* See Axle Options Above

Fits: 78-87 GM Malibu, Regal, Cutlass, El Camino, Monte Carlo

* Adjustable Lower Brackets Available +$30
* Custom Made To Order - Any Length
* Choice of Housing Ends (1/2") - (3/8" New Style)
* Drain & Fill Plugs w/ Jack Pad + $55
* Billet 10/12 Bolt GM Housing Ends + $75
* Heavy Walled Tubing + $30

I like the one below the most.

Quick Performance 9" G-Body Floater Housings

floater_gbody_full.gif

9" GM G-Body Metric Floater Housing
$950 - Complete w/ Housing, Axles, Hubs, Bearings, Studs, & Wilwood Rotors
$400 - Housing Only w/ G-Body Brackets

* Includes Heavy Duty Banjo w/ DOM Tubing Inserted 5"
* Grand National Hubs - 5 on 5 or 5 on 4-3/4"
* Drain & Fill w/ Jack Pad Standard - No Extra Charge
* Adjustable Lower Brackets Available +$30
* Available w/ Lightweight Small Web Housing - No Extra Charge
* Brake Brackets & Calipers w/ Pads - Add $100
* 31 Spline Standard - Add $40 for 28 Spline
* Extra Floater Axles Available $75 Each
* Gundrilled Axles (31 Spline Only) + $75
* Gun Drilled Floater Axles Available $125 Each

I have a QP 9" rearend. It actually looks better than the pic. They have now added gussets to the coil mount perches. Go with the MOSER axles for only $30. I was using mine for street duty and I didn't. I got their own "Q.P." axles. all they are are stock axles re-drilled to a chevy bolt pattern. For the $30 I wish I had went with Moser. The full floater you saw is for the dirt track guys. BTW I ordered mine 1 3/4 WIDER than stock to accept most aftermarket wheels. Don't forget to account for brake drum or rotor thickness for discs. He has a order form to help you figure this out on his web-site. I am using 17X9 with 4 1/2 backspacing. This was the main reason I went to the 9". Figure out what wheels you are using BEFORE you order. He will also want to sell you the "new style" 3/8 bearing billet housing ends. Yes, you want these. Was like $75 or something. He told me in the spring he was going to these on all his housings, so make sure it doesn't already come with them. Check e-bay for your third member ot center drop-out section with gears. Unless your going all out race a stock locker (posi) unit will be they way to go for the money.

Yup... The floaters are for the round track guys. My coil spring brackets look way better than the one in the pics too. Looks a little more trick I guess with the better looking brackets and gussets. I'll try to ge a couple pics up when I get it painted. Mine will see MAINLY track duty so I went with the 35 spline moser axles. Like I said earlier.... I don't even have it in the car yet but soo far I am very pleased.

its a smooth install .make sure you check the angle of the drive shaft for what you will do more with the car weather its drag racing or street .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor