Gm 8.2 10 bolt questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b
Apr 23, 2012
I installed an 8.2 in my 81 malibu about a month ago. My diff came out of a 67 Chevelle. I bought a set of Southside Machine bars off of ebay, and the swap went pretty smooth. I didn't have to shorten the drive shaft, but I did have to use a conversion u joint that I purchased from Auto Zone. I kept the spring seats on the diff in the stock position which means my rear springs sit at an angle. I have driven the car and I have not had a problem, so I am going to leave them that way. There are a few benefits from this swap. The axles are 28 spline vs. the 26 spline of the 7.5 diff, and you will now have bolt on wheel cylinders instead of the clipos that hold them in on the 7.5. I say go for it. Good luck.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I wouldnt . Rebuild your 7.5 with new /used 7.5/8 posi, axles if needed and all new bearings. alot less work and probably just as strong.I havent broke any of mine .

Doug

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Doug213xrj said:
I wouldnt . Rebuild your 7.5 with new /used 7.5/8 posi, axles if needed and all new bearings. alot less work and probably just as strong.I havent broke any of mine .

Doug

Doug, I have heard a few people(not many though) say they have made the 7.5 live with good parts. What kind of power are you putting down?

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
stubnosebrock said:
Doug213xrj said:

Doug

Doug, I have heard a few people(not many though) say they have made the 7.5 live with good parts. What kind of power are you putting down?

I`m not getting into a horsepower war here As my motor has never been on a dyno, But Im sure im no where near 500 real horsepower. I`m saying if I was looking for a rear end to change from a 7.5 I would look for a GM 12 bolt, 8.5, Ford 9 inch, 8.8 or the Mopar 8.3/4. The 8.2 its that much stronger/bigger then a 7.5/8 . Youll need to rebuild the 8.2 with a posi, gears, axles (if needed) and all new bearings plus at less a few hundred dollars in upper and lower control arms and maybe shorting your drive shaft. Seams like a lot of extra work/money for a rear end thats only a hair bigger.

Doug

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
I understand what your saying. I was kinda thinking the same thing myself. Im no rear end guru, but i cant really believe that the ring gear size alone adds much strength to an axle. If you built a 7.5 with a good carrier and gears, and 28 spline axles, Id have to assume it would would close to the same strength as the 8.2. Same pinion size. Id have the put the same cash cash into either rear. Probably a better idea to wait for a 8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor