GM and other auto manufacturers cutting production

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
My wife is an insurance agent, she's having a hard time keeping up with clients calling in to put insurance on a new vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Car sales in this area haven't been affected adversely at all - for a period at the end of last summer and into the fall, most dealers were sold out. I have an aquaintance that is the F&I leader at the local Subaru/Hyundai delaer, and he made about 20% more in 2020 than his previous best year - he only makes money when new cars sell with extras - warranties, dealer add-on optionbs, etc. They ran out of 3 different models multiple times. At one point they had about 10 Forresters sold before they hit the lot.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I've heard it's a combo of mild increase in demand with mild decrease in production. I'd also like to attribute it a bit to the fact that many mfgers are exiting the car game and switching over to pickup and SUV production, which just so happens the pickup market is booming because people are building new houses and doing a lot of remodeling now, so the small contractor and construction business is flush with money.

Most automakers were shut down for at least a month in the spring of 20 so that's ~10% less production.

I am sure some people that were commuting and are now working from home decided to not get a replacement since they aren't driving as much. However I am also sure that some people who either rode public transport decided they would rather not be shoulder to shoulder in a covid capsule for 25 minutes and either bought a car. Or people who used to spend their money on concerts, bars, vacations, sports ect now have spare money they can't spend on their usual spots so they decide to buy a new car.

Someone I know buys a new custom order Sierra 1500 every 3 years for the past 20+ years. He went to order a 20 in fall of 19 and they said build date was April 20. Well the plant was shut down so they said November. He called dealer in November and said they have switched to 21 production now and cancelled all the 20 orders and he needs to order a 21. He was obviously mad because a 21 is more expensive than a 20. I am pretty sure the dealer did get his custom ordered 20 in November but it was sold on discount in 19 and the salesman realized they could make another 2 grand selling it to some contractor who walked in and sold it from underneath him.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
My buddy manages a boat dealership. They've been averaging a 10% increase in sales over the last ten years. This year, well 2020, they averaged an 87% increase in sales. His average boat sale is 67k.... 😲

• Wow

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My wife is an insurance agent, she's having a hard time keeping up with clients calling in to put insurance on a new vehicle.

My buddy manages a boat dealership. They've been averaging a 10% increase in sales over the last ten years. This year, well 2020, they averaged an 87% increase in sales. His average boat sale is 67k.... 😲

Man, we need to get to be good friends, seems like you're good for business

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Haha, just lucky that's all. On the other hand, another friend installs pacemakers and I hope I never need a favor from him 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
The car market rebounded? I hadn't noticed.
Nearly every day since Halloween that I have had off has been because of part shortages. If it weren't for the parts rationing, I don't know that I would be getting much time off at all this year.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Haha, just lucky that's all. On the other hand, another friend installs pacemakers and I hope I never need a favor from him 😂

Especially if you need a semiconductor replaced post-op.

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor