Gm Crate 350 /290 hp upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you're going to keep that cam, then a set of stock Vortecs is what I'd be after, or a set of replacement Vortecs. You'll have to retune the timing curve of course, but the Vortecs are worth an easy 30hp minimum and possibly 50.

I would NOT spend the money on the Edlebrocks and use that cam, but I'm cheap as sh*t too, so there's that...............

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
If you're going to keep that cam, then a set of stock Vortecs is what I'd be after, or a set of replacement Vortecs. You'll have to retune the timing curve of course, but the Vortecs are worth an easy 30hp minimum and possibly 50.

I would NOT spend the money on the Edlebrocks and use that cam, but I'm cheap as sh*t too, so there's that...............
Thanks , something to consider . don't the Vortec heads require a different Intake to match ?
Still wishing I did the LS , i'd be done with it and just enjoying it

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Thanks , something to consider . don't the Vortec heads require a different Intake to match ?
This is why I asked about the heads. I like the benefits of the Vortecs but not the related requirements. The E-street series was supposed to be Vortec based but w/o the Vortec specific parts requirements. Seems a better match to the cam. I believe smog legal as well for those it impacts. I'd research info on them.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

They are not as easy as the internet would lead you to believe. LS swaps can and often do snowball which most engine swaps just do in general. EFI can be just as big a b*tch as carbs to tune right.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yes, need a different intake for Vortecs.
I’ll admit that the passing emissions with a GBidy is way beyond me. So take all of my advice with a grain of ‘non emission passing’ salt lol.

If I had to pass emissions, then I’ll guess that for 350+ hp an LS would easier and cheaper.

@TIEClonePilot - a carb is easier to tune than EFI? Ouch hehe

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
While flipping thru a Summit Catalog on the john . Thank god for old school catalogs !
I j found out Trick flow makes a 62cc head(3410001), with a GM performance composite .028 head gasket get me 9.55 CR
Now I just need to get the Flow #s for the TF heads to plug into DD5 to see results.
going to order the limited slip and gears , I can get that done while I figure out the Engine mods 100%
Engine mods will be an after summer project . Been a constant 100-116 here in the Desert of California

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
While flipping thru a Summit Catalog on the john . Thank god for old school catalogs !
I j found out Trick flow makes a 62cc head(3410001), with a GM performance composite .028 head gasket get me 9.55 CR
Now I just need to get the Flow #s for the TF heads to plug into DD5 to see results.
going to order the limited slip and gears , I can get that done while I figure out the Engine mods 100%
Engine mods will be an after summer project . Been a constant 100-116 here in the Desert of California
guess those are no more . so 60cc tfs-30210006? still researching

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Yes, need a different intake for Vortecs.
I’ll admit that the passing emissions with a GBidy is way beyond me. So take all of my advice with a grain of ‘non emission passing’ salt lol.

If I had to pass emissions, then I’ll guess that for 350+ hp an LS would easier and cheaper.

@TIEClonePilot - a carb is easier to tune than EFI? Ouch hehe

About the only emission legal LS swaps are the Erod crate engines, hardly cheap. Even with them you can't retune them without losing the emission legality. Junkyard LS swaps are pretty difficult to do legally. You would need a complete donor car for starters and all the emission parts must match the original donor's emission package including PCM programing. Also going to need to weld a pressure sensor bung onto the gas tank, etc. None of the LS's original emission parts can be deleted to be legal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor