GM Disk brake question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
OK, this is not a G Body but this is the best forum I have found for GM related topics so I am posting this here. 2004 Chevy Silverado 4WD Z71 single piston rear brakes. Changed the rotors and pads on the rear yesterday. They now work well with one annoying exception. There is the sound of something scraping at low speed. A shhh, shhh, shhh, shhh sound. Tap the brake it is gone, release it and it is back. It is on the driver's side wheel only. They are not hot after a long drive, stop better than before and other than the sound there seems to be nothing wrong. If I take my foot off the gas the truck creeps forward like it did before so I do not think there is any additional drag.
- Is this something that may be normal and will go away in 50 miles?
- If not other than a dust shield what could be making the noise?
- Should I just roll up the window, turn up the radio and call it fixed?
- At 235000 miles am I getting to picky? Right now this is the only annoying sound.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Check the hardware, and the backing plates. Some times the clips move or shift. Also sometimes the backing plates get a little bent and make contact.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I did drive for a bit speeding up and slowing down. I did have to completely stop at a few intersections. The drive was about 30 minutes long. started out under 40 MPH and then up to ~55 MPH. These are Auto Zone mid level pads and rotors.

I did not follow those instructions to the letter but the basic idea of speed up slow down at a lower speed and then at a higher. I have not driven the truck yet since last night so maybe cooling down did something. I have changed brakes several times on various vehicles and this is the first time I ran into a noise I could not figure out quickly.

Other thought my son had was could it be the parking brake? It is a drum break that is inside the rotor. We did not touch it when we changed the rotor but the inner part of the rotor is its drum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor