GM G80 "Gov-Lock" fun-time mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read, the more Im thinking Im going to skip Auburn and go with a Detroit TrueTrac, even tho they cost a bit more.

-Gonz

That is interesting and if a gov lok was the only option it would be very helpful, personally I'd go with an Eaton posi or truetrac

If you watch the video below on how the G80 works, it actually has more clamping force than a standard clutch type posi. The G80 does have a reputation for coming apart there is no doubt. I believe that is due in part to the very violent way it locks up. I am going to continue "testing" on this rear end, but I believe that lowering the differential engagement rpm will keep it from shock-loading the internals and turning them into confetti. I'll keep beating on this one, and if it explodes. There will be pictures below.

Reactions: pontiacgp
If you watch the video below on how the G80 works, it actually has more clamping force than a standard clutch type posi. The G80 does have a reputation for coming apart there is no doubt. I believe that is due in part to the very violent way it locks up. I am going to continue "testing" on this rear end, but I believe that lowering the differential engagement rpm will keep it from shock-loading the internals and turning them into confetti. I'll keep beating on this one, and if it explodes. There will be pictures below.

Nice video and for me it too many moving parts to achieve it's purpose. I like the Eaton posi that is always locked up until real forces cause the disks to slip. The truetrac is a better option that is really an old design. What I don't like about the gov loc it's an on off switch

Gov Lock's suit a purpose - snow covered roads in low powered vehicles. Completely unlocked during normal driving allowing for maximum fuel economy, and fully locked once slip is detected - on a slippery (snow covered) surface, they will not destroy themselves.

After that, they are a time bomb.

Mine lived behind a Pontiac 400 for ten years. Great in the snow but it does engage a bit harshly. Now it is in my 301 Bonnewagon still working fine.

The more I read, the more Im thinking Im going to skip Auburn and go with a Detroit TrueTrac, even tho they cost a bit more.

-Gonz

Fvck Auburn, their diffs are garbage. It's nothing more than an open diff with a spring pack preloading the side gears. No clutch packs, not serviceable, doesn't work worth a sh*t.

The 8.5" Gov Lock I added to the Olds powered 4x4 let me go through snow to the bumper. Stupid Dakota with the Sure Grip 8.25" which does work, isn't nearly as effective.

My personal experience with a Gov Lock is the cases are fragile if the tires hook or they are shocked.

Attachments

• 73856791DZDGjG_ph.jpg
    73856791DZDGjG_ph.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 73856583wtwOQt_ph.jpg
    73856583wtwOQt_ph.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 73856611rUHXBP_ph.jpg
    73856611rUHXBP_ph.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 331
  • 73856703fuVZvz_ph.jpg
    73856703fuVZvz_ph.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Wow
Reactions: 39F and fleming442
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor