GM G80 "Gov-Lock" fun-time mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal experience with a Gov Lock is the cases are fragile if the tires hook or they are shocked.
Nearly any 7.5" diffs are including the Powertrax rears. Just too small to hold up to power.

I replaced it with a conventional Eaton clutch style posi unit similar to the OEM units GM used on the passenger car 12 bolts and the 71-81 F body and 84-87 G body 8.5

The Eaton clutch posi I have in my 1967 8.2 rear still has the original clutch packs in it and still working fine. I know they are the originals cause when I got the rear end I checked the thrust washers on the pinion gears. There was a builliten on the thrust washers that they would wear out prematurely due to the material they were made of. The posi still had the original thrust washers in it and they were paper thin so that means the rear was never opened.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
I had the gov lock in a couple of Blazers and loved them for mild wheeling. Way better grip than a conventional LSD rear. For a street vehicle I'd go torsen type differential over a LSD anytime.

Reactions: olds307 and 403
My pictures are from an 8.5 10 bolt truck.

The 8.5 crap breaks in the trucks all the time too. I'd argue 9.5 and bigger is where they're decent. That said, mine is pretty wallered out but still works. . .that also said it probably has 300k on it by now as it was plucked from the junkyard north of 200k when my truck was at 200k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor