GN rearend with discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Has anybody seen one of these, it's a GN rear end with disc brakes? I just picked it up and wanted to know if anybody has seen one or know about the drum to disc swap.
IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I don't see any provision for an emegency brake(maybe I missed it), so I would have to say its a conversion. I know there was one out there that used the same calipers that our cars use on the front, kinda looks like that.

85olds4spd

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2009
sw Pa.
The one thing i do not like is the brake hose is higher than the bleeder. I would think it would trap air. I would modify that if it was mine.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Those are definately G-body front calipers on there.

I'd just put the stock drum set-up back on it if it were me... less work that way.

Attachments

• ss 1.JPG
    ss 1.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 140
  • ss 2.JPG
    ss 2.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 139

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
jrm81bu said:
I don't see any provision for an emegency brake(maybe I missed it), so I would have to say its a conversion. I know there was one out there that used the same calipers that our cars use on the front, kinda looks like that.
You are absolutely correct, it is a conversion and there is no hookup for the emergency cable so you are probably correct twice that they are the same calipers as the front ones.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
85olds4spd said:
The one thing i do not like is the brake hose is higher than the bleeder. I would think it would trap air. I would modify that if it was mine.
Yes the hoses will have to be changed anyways as they are cracked so i will change the setup on them somehow.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
I always thought that that set always looked cheap to me. I like the LS1 F-body rear disk brake conversion much better, just come cutting and tap a couple holes and bolt them on(bigger too) and have the internal parking brake built inside the rotor.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Does anybody know if a different caliper with emergency brake cable equipped will fit on this rear end? I read somewhere online that Firebirds with WS6 suspension code will fit, and also a Cadillac Seville from 80-86 might also work but i want to confirm this. As long as it will bolt on to the bracket i think they will work but not sure.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Does anybody know???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor