Good source for vintage/NOS upholstery fabrics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Here is what I received:
Fabric $99/yard Matching vinyl $79/Yard Headliner $79/Yard Cutpile Carpet $85/Yard Premade carpet $245

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I got my samples yesterday from SMS.........for my 79 Hurst Olds. No one warned me about the cost....
while I was knocked to the floor:eek: I found a quarter:banana: that rolled under the fridge a long time ago:cool:
.......I'll use it to flip to see if I order from SMS or not....:unsure:......see, Ya' gotta find the good in the bad...............:giggle:
What color is the 79 H/O sample?
I've spoken to a few over the years and they can't find NOS camel tan fabric for '79 H/O's, not even from SMS.
There was just a thread on FB two days ago regarding this, maybe he found some finally...

BTW side note for sh*ts and giggles, I called them last night to see if they had a sample of material for my '77 Can Am since their website didn't work properly to order a sample, guy sounded pissed off and dis-interested to help me but he did take my info.
Now the waiting...

Last edited:

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
That’s unfortunate. Years ago, I worked for an auto trim and upholstery trade magazine, and you wouldn’t believe some of the egos of these guys.

Plus, if they’re ticked off from guys calling them with obscure requests, then they shouldn’t market themselves as a vintage upholstery authority. Duh! You’re going to get obscure requests on hard-to-find material!

I really do think leadership sets the tone for the entire company. If the boss is a grouchy @$$hole, then everyone else is going to think that’s OK and start doing the same. Too bad. May contact them at some point, but probably not my first choice.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
To be honest I didnt know about all the complaints that were online. In the end it probably wouldnt have made a difference anyway. I know two guys that have shops and both said they were brutal to deal with but they have the materials people need. Whats the expression ? You pay your money and you take your chances ?
I cant remember the exact month I placed my order but I think it was in March. It took until November to get it right. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. The shop that did my seats set time aside to do my job so their schedule was all screwed up too. It wasnt good.
Someone mentioned Kim in the complaints. She was the person that always answered the phone. Nice woman but totally useless. After multiple incorrect rolls of cloth were delivered to my house I have to say I wasnt a pleasant person to talk to on the phone. I was pretty much a raving lunatic. In a way Im glad theyre on the other side of the country.
In the end they sent me a piece of paper with maybe a dozen samples stapled to it. Next to each sample was a letter. I had to pick which sample matched the largest partial roll that they sent me. They had pulled all of the rolls of the cloth in the pattern that I ordered and stapled the matching letter to each roll so they could send me the right stuff. This was all for the 81 Malibu.
When it came time to order the cloths for the wagon I sent them a piece of a seat cover that I cut out of a seat in a Cutlass at the local yard. It was large enough to have all three cloths. Patterned, accent, and vinyl trim. They couldnt screw that up. I actually had it in a few weeks. I wound up with extra pieces of all the cloths and vinyl that I wrapped in plastic and stuck them in a closet for both cars.
Im glad I'll never have to deal with them again.

BTW, not only do they have large rolls of OEM cloths but I was told by my friend thats dealt with them for years they buy out smaller places that have OEM cloths. Even shops. They get these smaller pieces for pennies on the dollar. Im sure they try to get rid of that stuff first.

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
What color is the 79 H/O sample?
I've spoken to a few over the years and they can't find NOS camel tan fabric for '79 H/O's, not even from SMS.
There was just a thread on FB two days ago regarding this, maybe he found some finally...

BTW side note for sh*ts and giggles, I called them last night to see if they had a sample of material for my '77 Can Am since their website didn't work properly to order a sample, guy sounded pissed off and dis-interested to help me but he did take my info.
Now the waiting...
My samples are the camel colored but my interior is so washed out by the sun, I cannot attest to the accuracy of the color intensity...
My headliner is gone, just the fiberboard is there.
With all 3 samples I have on the attched form from them, they all seem comparable to what color a 1979 H/O Olds would be. Best I can describe.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
There has probably been some fading over the years, but since my wagon has been garage-kept for most of its life, I'd like to think the colors are fairly close to original. Wouldn't upholstery color be somewhere in the VIN code or build sheet, (if I can find it!)?

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I read the last year or so SMS bought out one of their main competitors.

Interior color code is what I supplied them with when ordering. Depending on the exact part that should be enough to give them the correct color I'd think.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
There has probably been some fading over the years, but since my wagon has been garage-kept for most of its life, I'd like to think the colors are fairly close to original. Wouldn't upholstery color be somewhere in the VIN code or build sheet, (if I can find it!)?

Im pretty sure the interior color code would also be on the cowl tag. Depending on the year there might be differences in the actual colors of the dash, seats and panels. This might help you a little.

1983-Gm-pg09.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor