MONTE CARLO Goodmark replacement fenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Quite a motley crew of sheet metal, I will admit. Looking at pics one and two, the rusty eyebrow would be something I would cut away and replace. I do box sides on my S-10 and eyebrows are usually what has to be fixed. The panels are fairly cheap to source and the S-10 wheel well eyebrow appears to be very similar in shape so harvesting a small section and fitting it in is a possibility. The kink in the panel adjacent to the marker light cut away looks to be a hammer and dolly exercise unless there is hidden damage somehow. That wicked kink in pic three, well either wall art or a donor to repair a better fender. The rest, i get your point about issues. To say anything about them I would have to physically have them in hand and have them stripped down to bare metal before offering an intelligent comment or suggestion about any of them. One possibility is a place called Bobby White motors down in Tennessee. They have some serious acreage devoted to cars and trucks and there is a web site. Found out about them from a video taken about a relic that was found there and retrieved. Pa and Tenn aren't all that close but if might be worth an e-mail query to find out if they have a couple of low mileage candidates that would fit your agenda.. Possible road trip come spring??

Oh, yeah, before I forget, Duck, you have more snow coming your way.

Nick

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
If you buy aftermarket goodmark panels you need to check the ecoat. Sometimes its not e coat its lacquer primer.i just put lacquer thinner on a rag and wiped the panel. If it comes off its lacquer primer, if not its ecoat.My goodmark floor pan was ecoated but my qtr panel patch was lacquer. If its lacquer I'd remove it. I know its far(I'm in indianapolis) but I'd give you a driver side ss fender. I have 2 with no rust. I don't know if you could find a passenger near me and get both.
If I go aftermarket, I’ll be leaving the E-coat on just to help the fender last a little longer. If you’ve got the time to spare, fixing the OE ones you’ve got might be more worth your while.

An aftermarket fender is small potatoes to me at this point even with everything you said, because I’ve got to do all of that and then some. Every panel save for the body shell and the rear bumper cover that will be going on here is from a different car, heck even my doors are from an 86 and an 88 respectively. When I bought the car, it didn’t have a front clip on it, all of it was disassembled prior to being stored outside, so it needs to be set from scratch anyway. At this point, I need to save all the time I can, since everything will need some filler on it and needs realigned properly.

I’ll get pictures of what I’ve got to straighten out on the SC fenders I’ve got and what needs replaced on the SS one later today, but both prospects of fixing either scare the begeebus out of me since it’s either a lot of pushing/hammering in very tight quarters or welding a very long stretch of fender.

Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I’ve been toying with the same thing on my Malibu. The doors have a lot of dings and 1 rust hole in each. After working on a 69 Firebird at work I’m going to stay as Far away from aftermarket as I can. We got parts that were supposed to be quality and they needed a crazy amount of work and we’re definitely thinner than factory. The manufacturer’s name escapes me at the moment, but they came from classic industries.
I have a goodmark hood on my 05 Sierra. I bought it in 07 and it’s a great piece. A guy from work said their quality went down hill because they were bought by keystone, I hadn’t heard this.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I’ve been toying with the same thing on my Malibu. The doors have a lot of dings and 1 rust hole in each. After working on a 69 Firebird at work I’m going to stay as Far away from aftermarket as I can. We got parts that were supposed to be quality and they needed a crazy amount of work and we’re definitely thinner than factory. The manufacturer’s name escapes me at the moment, but they came from classic industries.
I have a goodmark hood on my 05 Sierra. I bought it in 07 and it’s a great piece. A guy from work said their quality went down hill because they were bought by keystone, I hadn’t heard this.
Keystone (LKQ) seems like they just want to grab any & every one involved in crash parts. I remember back about 2006 They started to buy up all the local wholesalers & change their corprate name to LKQ. So many companies out there that was great with quality products until they became a part of a bigger group that wanted them for a cash cow.

• Informative

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hmmm, good tip about the e-coat possibly being bogus. I will have to throw a thinner soaked rag at those skins JIC. Had also not heard that LKQ was being a gobbler; eating up competitors and rebranding them with the LKQ logo. Could explain why my second panel has been on the pending list for so long. Bother.

Nick

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
If you buy aftermarket goodmark panels you need to check the ecoat. Sometimes its not e coat its lacquer primer.i just put lacquer thinner on a rag and wiped the panel. If it comes off its lacquer primer, if not its ecoat.My goodmark floor pan was ecoated but my qtr panel patch was lacquer. If its lacquer I'd remove it. I know its far(I'm in indianapolis) but I'd give you a driver side ss fender. I have 2 with no rust. I don't know if you could find a passenger near me and get both.
I’ll shoot you a PM in a month or so to see if you still have either of those. It’ll be worth it to have OE sheet metal shipped, no matter the cost.

Keystone (LKQ) seems like they just want to grab any & every one involved in crash parts. I remember back about 2006 They started to buy up all the local wholesalers & change their corprate name to LKQ. So many companies out there that was great with quality products until they became a part of a bigger group that wanted them for a cash cow.
That would explain why I’ve seen a lot of talk after 2011 about Goodmark going downhill. The thinner sheet metal is likely to make the dyes last longer and the garbage quality control is just to line LKQ’s pockets. 08Malibu got one of the last good products from Goodmark.

Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I bought complete floor pan ,lower qtr patch, rear seat crossmember, driver seat bracket, and the #6 &#7 cab mount patch. All from goodmark. I didn't put a gauge on them but all seemed as thick(or very close) to the original. The fit on all these parts were great. I cant complain at all about the panels I got. Except that some are ecoat and some are lacquer. I bought mine December 2019. They all came from the same factory in Taiwan. Now Fenders,doors and full qtrs might be a different story since they're bigger and have alot of bodylines.
I’ll shoot you a PM in a month or so to see if you still have either of those. It’ll be worth it to have OE sheet metal shipped, no matter the cost.

That would explain why I’ve seen a lot of talk after 2011 about Goodmark going downhill. The thinner sheet metal is likely to make the dyes last longer and the garbage quality control is just to line LKQ’s pockets. 08Malibu got one of the last good products from Goodmark.
If you really want it ill keep the better of 2. Its been online for 50$ for a year. Had a bunch of people bs or try to get it for 20. I'd rather give it away.

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
If you really want it ill keep the better of 2. Its been online for 50$ for a year. Had a bunch of people bs or try to get it for 20. I'd rather give it away.
Well at this point....
B21223EE-6567-436D-993B-3C8FC1F0520C.gif

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
For values of the word "quality" Taiwan made is not half bad. Remember, these are the guys who have a malicious neighbor sitting across from them with only a very narrow strip of water acting as a deterrent. Ever since they were excommunicated by a certain bunch of appeasers who just happen to have a large building in New York, they have had to go it alone and they have built their manufacturing up to the point were they can make almost anything from almost anything. If the box said made in Taiwan, which it has every so often, I personally don't sneeze at it or reject it. My feelings about the neighbors and their shenanigans I will keep to myself.

On another front, I just finished having to order a new pair of brake drums. Not only were the current ones an Oscar and Felix pair as I mentioned earlier, when I pulled Felix Ia quick finger nail check disclosed the beginnings of grooves and ridges. Come to find out that the e-brake cable for that, the pass side, was about 90% frozen in its sheath and would only move with some major encouragement. I have the replacement already in hand so a little paint on the backing plate and back it goes together.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor