Got a right NOS remote mirror but short cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
I found at a yard sale still had GM box a 996648 Passenger side remote mirror . Just happened to be a 86 Monte next door and its the same mirror.

But After got it home and looked at it its shaped like the old 442 and mounts right but control cable is only like 24" long .
I know they control mounts in dash by steering wheel and no way it will reach there.

Any ideas ? I think someone swapped cables for a drivers side to the pass mirror and took the long cable to fix something . But all looks new.

Did some G body mount in a different area?

At least got new head and everything . Even if I have to get a cable off other GM product the $15 buck isn't bad.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
Hhmmm... Not sure what is the standerd length for Gbody remote passengr mirrors, but I have seen other GM models use the same Bullet style mirror. I also seen the remote lever mounted on the dash closer to the passengr

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Just wondered .

I was guessing at the part # its faded out .

I do know others had same style . I have yet to check how they fit to door of a cutlass . Hey I'll throw it on shelf some one will need one. Or swap out cable if it does work .

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Hmmmmmmm, don't think I"ve ever seen one mounted in the dash.....All the ones I have had the control was mounted in the door panel. I remember that because it was always a pain in the *ss to have to reach all the way over to the passenger side to adjust the mirror, then sit back in my seat to see if it was where I wanted it :lol: .

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
The only gbody car I owned that had with pass remote . Was a 4 door cutlass . For the life of me can't remember. But the Montes had right of steering wheel in dash .

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Well I saw car with the dash mounted one so selling to a local parts collector . I'll wait till find long cable or use 88 92 (i think )F body electric mirror motors and caprice mirror door control.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I was out at the junkyard today looking at mirrors. As far as I can tell, only the base of the mirror is right or left handled. It looks like the enclosure can go on either side by unscrewing it from the base. And, you can remove the mirror portion, which as the cable attached and replace it with another mirror that has a different length cable.

So, to sum it up. You can probably go to a junkyard and find the mirror cable portion and put it in the enclosure. Good mirrors are a dime a dozen. It's the chrome part that is hard to find without a lot of pitting.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Owned a couple of Cutlasses with pass side remote mirrors, the joystick is mounted on the dash just to the right of the column.
They're junk and barely work most of the time due to the long cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor