GP VFN Fiberglass hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
I contacted VFN and told me they can cut the hood opening for a trans am shaker install on my 79 GP. They told me I would have to supply measurements and a template. Thats where Im abit nervous. Would I measure where the air cleaner stud is the center of the cutout? And where would i get a template from? If i outline the size of the actual scoop how much clearance should I account for? thanks!

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
They told me the same thing about my Lemans' hood on my wagon. They are very accomadating. I am still running the steel hood with the shaker for now. I am going to assume you have a steel hood now. The Trans Am shakers vary depending on what engine they were intended for. An olds 403, Pontiac 400, 305 Chevy etc. I used one from a 403 and it required major modification to the air cleaner base. The carb is not centered on the 403 piece and I doubt it is perfectly centered on any of them. I would guess one from a 400 pontiac would be the best starting option for a Pontiac motor, and the 305 one for a chevy motor. Doing it purely on measurements, you will screw it up. Best to mock up the engine in the engine bay. Install the shaker. Then take measuremnets from that. Cut an opening in the steel hood and see how it fits. Now that you have an opening you can make a template of the shape ( and make any adjustments for location) and supply VFN with measuremnets from each corner of the hood to a single spot on the template (probably in the middle....make a mark). I've seen the shakers go on Ebay for $400 and up in good shape and complete. Good luck.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
Thanks. I actually have a 403 shaker air assembly, there's definately an offset which the 403 scoop plate brings it back to center.

. If I swap out the 301down the road for a Pontiac 400 would the cutout be in the same spot?
Getting it right seems like a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor