Grand Am steering box help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
I have two 78 Grand Am steering boxes. Can someone tell me what the ratio is for these boxes? I think I read somewhere that they were a 14:1 variable ratio with a higher effort than stock. Thanks.

Doug

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Damn, i wish i could help you. I hope you don't mind but i'm posting because i have similiar questions. Do you know the specs on a stock 88 MCSS steering box? And how wild would a stock steering box be with a 2:1 quickner in place?

http://jrmotorsports.com/product.cfm?InvKey=45232

That's the quickner incase your wondering.

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
I have no idea about the 2:1 ratio box. It looks a little small for street car use to me though ( karting, boats, etc.?). I'm probably wrong, this is just a guess. As for the MCSS box, IIRC it's 12.7:1.

Doug

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
CamaroAdam73 said:
Damn, i wish i could help you. I hope you don't mind but i'm posting because i have similiar questions. Do you know the specs on a stock 88 MCSS steering box? And how wild would a stock steering box be with a 2:1 quickner in place?

http://jrmotorsports.com/product.cfm?InvKey=45232

That's the quickner incase your wondering.

quickeners are used in dirt track racing...you really don't want that in a street car...

doug...that's not a box...it's installed in your steering shaft and it has gearing inside for the 2-1 ratio

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know much about Grand Am boxes but a variable box is a saginaw 700 and it is heavier near neutral with it getting lighter the more you turn. If you aren't sure it's a variable box you can remove the top cover and you'll see one of these. The one on the right has a taller center which makes it a variable pitch...

ccrp_0901_14_z+steering_box_upgrade+steering_box_repair.jpg

it it's not a variable pitch then you can just turn the shaft LTL and you can find out what the ratio is

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
pontiacgp, thanks again for the quick response. Trying to clear out my shop for work room and saw the steering boxes on the big tool box and was wondering about the ratio. I check it out as you have outlined.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor