Grand national 8.5 10 bolt value

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 malibuls

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2021
Rushville Ohio
Hi all, this is my first post and hope it’s in the right stop, but.... my question is I’m looking at a rear end that is a 8.5 10 bolt that came out of a grand national. I’m just not sure of the value of it with and without a posi unit. They are wanting $1500 and it’s supposedly a posi with 3.42 gears. Any help as to the value of these rears would be much appreciated. Thx

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I personally wouldn't spend that much on an old used 8.5 but if you really want one they are few and far between. I wouldn't put any money into the 7.5 but invest in better. There are a few options to go on, I went with a bolt in 9 in both my cars (Moser & QP) All new, order w/ the axles, splines, and ends you want
Did you mean this one?

79 malibuls

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2021
Rushville Ohio
So it’s definitely a no go for me unfortunately. I just went to pick it up and checked to make sure it’s a posi and it most definitely is not!! But I do really appreciate everyone’s feedback and recommendations.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, 1500 for a non-posi is a non starter. Not that it couldn't be overcome, but did he say it was? That's some bullsh*t right there.

Sorry for your loss.

• Agree

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
So it’s definitely a no go for me unfortunately. I just went to pick it up and checked to make sure it’s a posi and it most definitely is not!! But I do really appreciate everyone’s feedback and recommendations.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Adding a posi carrier isn’t a big deal. Did you at least make him an offer? Being an open, non posi would tell me it’s lived a pretty good life. It’s hard to stress a rear end with a one wheel spin.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

79 malibuls

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2021
Rushville Ohio
Adding a posi carrier isn’t a big deal. Did you at least make him an offer? Being an open, non posi would tell me it’s lived a pretty good life. It’s hard to stress a rear end with a one wheel spin
Adding a posi carrier isn’t a big deal. Did you at least make him an offer? Being an open, non posi would tell me it’s lived a pretty good life. It’s hard to stress a rear end with a one wheel spin.
It’s a old lady that owns it. Her husband was a parts collector, and swap meet guy. They’re barn in the back has thousands of parts. Well he passed away a couple years ago and she’s continuing to sell the parts off. I told her it’s not a posi, and she quickly apologized. Then she said well if I need a unit for it, that she has plenty and proceeded to take me around the corner from the rearend and on a shelf was about 5 8.5 posi units. They were either 30-31 spline? She said I could have the rearend and 1 of the units for the same price to make it a posi. My problem is I don’t know enough about these rearends to know if there are different 8.5 units that won’t work in this rear? Or if I would then need new axels? And that’s a lot of coin to go into something I don’t know much about.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Way too much for an open, but that's me. Sounds like a $600-800 deal to me. My son has a properly built 8.5, - 30 spline Moser axles with a new Yukon posi. Without brakes he was $12-1400 all in. We still have the original axles and posi. It's a shame that GM decided 28 spline axles were enough, because they aren't. They are toothpicks compared to a 30, 31, 33 or 35 spline axle. They aren't much more than 26 spline 7.5 axles IMO. But this comes down to your application and power you're intending to make - application meaning what tire.

I've said it many times that a 7.5 with an aftermarket 28 spline axle and either factory carrier from a later model or aftermarket 28 spline carrier will live forever on a street tire that won't hook up. The key is proper setup, NO sticky tires and good axles. If you ignore any one of those 3, then 7.5 is a time bomb.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Personally I would not have paid $1500 for it even if it was a posi, but I see people doing it all the time. The going rate for posi 8.5's is $1200 - $1500. I got lucky when I found my 3.73 posi 8.5" for $200 with the driveshaft. I did put new bearings in it, and all new brakes. I then traded the 3.73's for a 3.08 gear that better suited my build.

Back to this rear axle... Since it is not a posi, and it needs brakes, and drums, I would offer her $600. Justify your offer, by showing her the price of a posi carrier, and the price for brake shoes, brake spring hardware, and brake drums. Someone will probably offer $1200 for it the way it is...

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor